Considering buying 3 yr old sulcata...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Fl
ive attached pictures. hes a 3 yr old male, 8 inches. does that sound right and does he look healthy?

he only has 4 central scutes.

Attachments

• 5-1-12 eight inch male sulcata top view .jpg
    5-1-12 eight inch male sulcata top view .jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 5-1-12 eight inch sulcata side view .jpg
    5-1-12 eight inch sulcata side view .jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 197

Mordy

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl
i am very interested, but can someone please tell me how to keep him in an outside enclosure? for those of you that have big guys. i have a hatchling but he stays inside and is fairly easy. the thing that holds me off at least for a week is that the weather is going to be rainy in miami for many weeks :/

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I provide mine with a heated shed and they are free to roam and graze on all the grasses and weeds that grow. For me it was simple since I don't have a predator problem to protect against.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I like the way he looks. I too found the 4 scutes interesting. I kind of like it.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
He Looks Okay, a Little Pyramided not to much tho.

Mordy

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl
thanks everyone. yes, he looks a little pyramided but so do many of the sulcatas i see on this forum so i think its not a big concern, certainly something i can look past :) but the 4 scutes dont affect him in any way?

also, if i were to get him (leaning to yes), what can i grow in his enclosure so he can have good things to eat? im not getting him for a couple of weeks since ive nowhere to keep him inside. can i find any food in homedepot i can plant?

TurtleRescueLI

5 Year Member
The answer to that would be no. The plants at Home Depot are treated with fertilizers and pesticides so best to avoid them or if you do buy them, remove from pots, flush roots, replant and wait a few months before adding to tortoise enclosure. Not worth risking a torotise getting those toxins. Better to buy seed from a place like www.carolinapetsupply.com that has a grazing mix and plant that for them to graze on and add shrubs that you know are chemical free.

Mordy said:
thanks everyone. yes, he looks a little pyramided but so do many of the sulcatas i see on this forum so i think its not a big concern, certainly something i can look past :) but the 4 scutes dont affect him in any way?

also, if i were to get him (leaning to yes), what can i grow in his enclosure so he can have good things to eat? im not getting him for a couple of weeks since ive nowhere to keep him inside. can i find any food in homedepot i can plant?

Katherine

5 Year Member
Curious looking guy, I think hes cute! Just wanted to share that I have bought plenty of plants from my local garden center and I just rinse them very well and then only feed the new growth for the first year. I have never had a problem. I think it's optimal to grow from scratch, but it's not always feasible or reasonable (your tortoise will grow faster than some trees!) and I see no problem with a store bought plant as long as you take steps to prevent your tortoises from ingesting pesticides that may have been sprayed in the existing foliage.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Looks very cute especially with the four scutes and it looks healthy to me I would go for the purchase. I planted a spring mix, purple cabbage cause its pretty. And aloe and other safe succulents.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
katherine said:
Curious looking guy, I think hes cute! Just wanted to share that I have bought plenty of plants from my local garden center and I just rinse them very well and then only feed the new growth for the first year. I have never had a problem. I think it's optimal to grow from scratch, but it's not always feasible or reasonable (your tortoise will grow faster than some trees!) and I see no problem with a store bought plant as long as you take steps to prevent your tortoises from ingesting pesticides that may have been sprayed in the existing foliage.

The problem is that most nurseries are now using systemic fertilizers and pesticides that are absorbed into the plants tissues. This whole issue has become so muddled. I won't feed mine anything that I have not had for over a year and even then only the new growth that started AFTER that year.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Your buying this animal from Jerry Fife right? Why not talk to him about the questions you have?

Forums are great and all, but every question you've posted about the animal so far I'm sure he can answer for you, prior to the sale ( and after ).........

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I would get these seeds they are cheep easy to grow... grow well and my torts LOVE it...
GrowOrganic.com
Herbal Pasture Mix 1LB
High Rainfall Dryland Pasture Mix 1LB
Organic General Livestock Pasture Mix 1LB
Premium Horse Pasture Mix - 1 LB
Forage Blend Dryland Pasture Mix 5LB
if I had to pick one not to get I wouldn't get the horse pasture mix because it takes longer to grow.. 9LB of seed for 30$ with shipping and all are loved by my torts
If you get all of these and mix them together your tort will never get bord... my girls are growing like weeds with this mix and they are happy Plus I have plenty to spare.. and I grew in in a large area!

this is all of the seeds in these
Perennial Ryegrass
Orchardgrass
Timothy Grass
Burnet
Italian Ryegrass
Meadow Fescue
Renegrade Red Clover
White Clover
Chicory
Yarrow
Parsley
Alsike Clover
Sweet Clover
Milk Vetch
Lucerne
Plantain
Birdsfoot Trefoil
Fennel
Campeda Subclover
Antas Subclover
Denmark Subclover
Paiute Orchardgrass
White Oats
Red Oats
Bedford Beardless Barley
Dirkwin Awnless Wheat
Common Vetch
Organic Alfalfa
Organic Red Clover
Angus Tetraploid Annual Ryegrass
Organic Alsike Clover
Organic White Clover
Organic Kora Tall Fescue
Organic Orchardgrass,
Organic Intermediate Ryegrass
Orchardgrass
Tetraploid Annual Ryegrass
Tetraploid Perennial Ryegrass
Bison Intermediate Ryegrass
Renegade Red Clover
Alfalfa

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Built-my-first-outdoor-home-for-my-baby-torts#ixzz1vVUhnVHp

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
He looks GREAT! that isn't so much pyramiding as it is slighty raised scutes. I really like the 4 scute back.

And as for outside living right now in FL.... as long as it is 70+ degrees outside, rain means nothing! WalkingRock loves walking/grazing in the rain. :D

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
If you want some ideas on outside enclosure, research some of toms treads. We copied one of his sheds. My Willie has been with us for about 6 months, I'm in lakeland florida just north of you- he is 6 1/2 years old and about 15 pounds. Not sure of length, i keep him in an 8x 10 outdoor enclosure that is reinforced about two feet underground with chicken wire then 3 stacked wooden rails. In an octagon so you have no corners for flipping. His shed is attached at one end. He has easy stairs with a small deck and large rocks. He didn't like using a ramp, which is what most people have, but he likes to climb into his house- refused to use the ramp. We made it very large for growth... Every chance I get ( afternoons and weekends) he gets to walk the backyard. I can't leave him out when someone is not watching him because we have a pool- even though he has never gone close to it, won't take the chance and I have dogs and he loves eating the poop. Which as well as being just gross is not healthy for them. I would post pictures but having issues with that- you can search my name and see updates for the enclosure. I am very proud of it because he came to me 6 months ago from a large aquarium tank. So this is the life. We plan on enlarging his habitat area within the next year. He will end up with about 1/2 our backyard. Good luck.. The best thing I ever did was rescue my Willie....

Status
Not open for further replies.