LIGHTING QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewTurtleMommy

5 Year Member
Since it is getting into fall, I have moved my box turtle inside (he was out during the day and sleeps inside at night). I currently have a 75 watt Zoo Med basking light over his inside enclosure. Our house is centrally heated around 77 degrees, and we are in Texas, so needless to say our winters are not harsh. What other type of light do I require?

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I would get a ceramic heat emitter for night. If she will be in for the winter you need a UVA/UVB also.

moswen

5 Year Member
i've seen box turtles out walking around my neighborhood in 70 degree weather, just keep your night temps in your house in the 70's and you don't need anything at night. box turtles can withstand much cooler weather than a tortoise. i don't even leave a heater on for my sulcatas at night and i'm in tulsa.

NewTurtleMommy

5 Year Member
thanks guys! So he should be good during the day with just the basking light? You know, I am quickly learning to care for a turtle (properly, anyway-lol) is a learning experience! I wouldnt trade it for anything, though-that little turtle face makes it worth it! Also, just got some exciting news-a coworker has box turtle hatchlings and around Christmas my gift will be two of them-so I am sure I will be posting questions like crazy then! lol

Again, thank you so much for any and all advice. You guys are the best!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.