Temperature in Dale's enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
I've heard a lot of different opinions here about Redfoots temperatures in their enclosures and now that Dale has a much bigger one how important is it to keep the entire thing at a certain temp? If you have a basking spot of 85 and a heater to keep the room warm do you need to have the other areas hot as well or can they dip to 65 or 70? I've heard where the temp. doesn't drop that much where they come from and then I've heard that they need it to drop for proper digestion. Which in your experience is true? Dale's enclosure is 2 1/2 feet by 6 feet.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
I would recommend one end at 75-80 and one at 85-90 during the day, the whole enclosure can drop down to 70 or so at night. I don't have multiple basking spots per se, I do have multiple heat lamps (3), but that is to heat the whole space (one on each end and one in the middle). My heat lamps get more powerful on the warm end, making a nice gradient across it. Temperatures do not fluctuate much, you are correct, but deep under brush or when coastal breezes come in it can cool down some. Too cool my enclosure down I simply turn off one or two lamps depending on how warm it is.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Candy- 'Cherryheads' are a Brazilian group that comes from the scrub forest hills of south Eastern Brazil, in what is called the Bahia region. They experience pretty significant temperature fluctuations between day and night, seasons, etc. It even gets rather chilly sometimes. You can look this up for yourself online.

Functionally- offer a nice range and let Dale choose. If he hangs in the cool area a LOT, then cool things down a bit and vice versa.

I WOULD personally boost the hot spot to closer to 90, but that is not based on anything too scientific, just the idea that a larger habitat can support a wider range of temps.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thanks Jordan and Madkins. All the information helps stop the confusion. So far Dale stays pretty much on the hot side, but he does wander usually in the mornings or when the heater is on and it's hot in the room. :( That should have told me something. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.