Tecoma stans

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Does anyone have experience with this plant and tortoises? I saw it growing in some tortoise pens and it tolerates my extreme climate very well. Its not really clear if its toxic or not, or even better, if its edible. If its not toxic this plant would be a great way for me to add vegetation to my enclosures. Same for anyone in AZ or other desert areas. The tortoise in the pens had been living with it for years and their hatchling babies seems healthy too.
IMG_0620.jpgIMG_0621.jpgIMG_0622.jpgIMG_1055.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well seems like this came up in 2015 and it was determined to be safe... probably. I was not able to find any new references that were not discussed in that thread.

Thanks Steve. The endorsement from Iochroma in that thread is enough of an endorsement for me. Between that and the tortoises I saw out in the desert living with this in their pen, I think I'll give it a try.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
We’ve had three in our yard as long as we’ve had our Russian. Ours are trained as vines so not as large. They set pretty long seed pods that typically split and dry before they hit the ground. Our tortoise has never shown interest in them.

We get a long blooming season from them and they are popular with bumblebees and hummingbirds, among other critters. Tortoise took to the flowers right away and leaves the second or third year.

Reactions: Tom