Pumpkin & Sisso trees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Does anyone know if Sissoo trees (Dalbergia sissoo) are toxic to torts, I have some and they drop leaves every winter so if they are not toxic I would like to put them in the pens for added warmth.

Also can Desert torts eat pumpkin?? Russians eat pumpkin?? Fall is here and they are starting to sell pumpkins so I was gonna get some, anyone know??

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
ive seen aldabras dominate huge pumpkins in minutes but i dont know about deserts or russians? also anyone know if sulcatas can eat pumpkin?

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
waco tx
kevantheman35 said:
ive seen aldabras dominate huge pumpkins in minutes but i dont know about deserts or russians? also anyone know if sulcatas can eat pumpkin?
i fed my sulcata hatchlings litle bits of pumkin last night they loved it.. pumpkin is good because it naturaly kills any internal parasites if your tortoise has any.. it is good as a treat so dont feed them to much..

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have feed pumpking to my DT and to my adult Greeks and Squirt my little foster Sully with no problems at all but as mtdavis said, not too much or they may get runny. But they seem to love it as a treat. And I figure it is good for Torts before hibernation just to make sure they go to sleep without a belly of worms.
By the way did you know you can keep whole pumpkins for about 4 to 6 months if kept in a cool dry dark place they will keep well. I have kept one that was good after 5 months. But no bruises or they will spoil.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Crazy1 said:
I have feed pumpking to my DT and to my adult Greeks and Squirt my little foster Sully with no problems at all but as mtdavis said, not too much or they may get runny. But they seem to love it as a treat. And I figure it is good for Torts before hibernation just to make sure they go to sleep without a belly of worms.
By the way did you know you can keep whole pumpkins for about 4 to 6 months if kept in a cool dry dark place they will keep well. I have kept one that was good after 5 months. But no bruises or they will spoil.

Thanks that is good to know, they had some small ones on sale and I had thought about picking some up, I wanted to give them some before they hibernate.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I feed pumpkin to all my tortoises & box turtles about once a month. Our Walmart has the small pie pumpkins right now. I might cook some up & freeze it for the spring & summer. If I can't get it fresh, I get the canned 100% pumpkin from Walmart. They love it. Because it is so high in fiber, it flushes the worms out.
Patsy

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
how do you guys prepare the pumpkin before feeding?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Josh, for the little ones I boil or bake it. for the big guys I shred or cut it into small pieces. but I found it seems they like it cooked better than raw seems easier for them to eat. And yes I feed canned pumpkin to mine as well so if you don't want to hassel with cleaning and cooking pumpkin, just buy the canned, But not the canned spiced for pie pumpking the straight pumpkin

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
K9KidsLove said:
I feed pumpkin to all my tortoises & box turtles about once a month. Our Walmart has the small pie pumpkins right now. I might cook some up & freeze it for the spring & summer. If I can't get it fresh, I get the canned 100% pumpkin from Walmart. They love it. Because it is so high in fiber, it flushes the worms out.
Patsy

Is that the pasty canned pumpkin that's ready for pie baking?

i'd like to try it for my little sick guy - Hermann hatchling

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
siwash, canned is okay. but make sure it is just pumpkin...no spices!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
jenrell23, I have looked and looked regarding Dalbergia sissoo - "Indian Rosewood Tree" and found nothing regarding them being or not being toxic to Tortoises. Did you ever use them in your pens?

Status
Not open for further replies.