Take a guess: male or female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Nelson will be 2 in May and he has grown quite a bit! He is approximately 3.75" now.
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on if he is male/female!

We were thinking female initially but his tail looks pretty long in these pictures...(though I know that's not the only indication for m/f)
IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Yes, I know he's still too young to be 100% sure :) Danny's guess was female back when the little dude was only 3" long.
It will be fun when I know for sure!

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
Yeah it's always fun to get people's thoughts :)
I would say male based on relative tail size, the cloaca is * shaped which indicates female but I still feel like it might be male. Is his plastron concave at all?

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I am thinking definitely female, I would think her cloaca would have started to drop by now if it were male.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I am not convinced if its a male or female, You cant tell for definate if his shell is concave if its smooth then its a girl. the opening os the scutes and the length of tail are niggling at me, so i think would sway more towards a male than a female..

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
bikerchicspain said:
I am not convinced if its a male or female, You cant tell for definate if his shell is concave if its smooth then its a girl. the opening os the scutes and the length of tail are niggling at me, so i think would sway more towards a male than a female..

Russian torts don't get a concave belly if they're males.... Their anal scutes are also a inconsistent way to tell, since the difference between male and female is very minimal compared to almost any other species. Based on the tail length/shape, I would say it's leaning male....

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I beg to differ i have had some male russians in at work and for the most part they have had a very slight curve more like a dimple,not as much as the greeks but it was there,
I did have trouble sexing the cherry heads at first, till the male got his toy out one day while bathing him,Now he does it eveytime you pick him up.:D

Mean Guy

5 Year Member
Most def male... or female. I have no idea, but I am going to say male because I want the cookie if I am right... we are getting cookies, right?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Mean Guy said:
Most def male... or female. I have no idea, but I am going to say male because I want the cookie if I am right... we are getting cookies, right?

I guess I could send a few cookies to the winner. They'll be store bought though...trust me, you don't want me to bake them!

Thanks everyone for your input!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Seriously, does no one but me see the spur on the end of HIS tail????

I have seen females with longer tails, but NEVER have I seen a female with that hooked scale!

Status
Not open for further replies.