Table top humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

hercspegs

5 Year Member
I just got a new table top enclosure for my tort. He's about 1.5 years old. The humidity in his enclosure is about 50% right now. Is that optimum for him and how can I increase the humidity?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, Russian tortoises don't need to be as humid as the leopards and sulcatas (and a few others). I would just pour a pitcher full of water over the substrate, mix it up with your hand, and let it go at that. After a couple days, dig down with your fingers and if it's getting dry, add some more water.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I like to get the humidity up to about 60% for my Russians. Do they need humidity that high? Probably can still thrive with it a little lower.

You can also dump your water bowl into the substrate each day when you put in fresh water.

How deep and what type substrate do you use?

In the winter, when the heat dries out the air; I'll hang a wet bath towel in the torts room.

The most direct way to raise the humidity is to dampen the substrate as Yvonne stated. Just remember wet and cold are not good.

Humidity is directly related to the outdoor conditions where you live and the air conditioning factors for the entire house.

Good luck.

hercspegs

5 Year Member
I do soak him (and his brother) about 3-4 times a week. So would the 50% humidity sufficient for him in that case?

Right now the substrate is compressed straw pellets. When the torts were together I tried 50/50 mix of top soil + play sand, but I think this Pegasus (this tort) didn't like it. I'm thinking about putting a layer of top soil mixture on bottom with a layer pellets on top, or half pellets/half top soil mixture in his enclosure, and I'm going to see if Pegasus likes it better now, now that he is all by himself. Oh and no AC yet. Just a window open when it gets too hot for the humans inside.

rocky1998

5 Year Member
Scotland
I used 50/50 top soil and play sand until I realised the ratio of the play sand should be lower than the soil so instead I use about 90% soil and 10% play sand to change the texture a little... I heard many people use coco coir and plainly just soil but I think you should really see which one you think is beneficial

I <3 my torts!

hercspegs

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've started spritzing the top of the substrate and it's making a difference in the humidity.

rocky1998 would you mind telling me where you get your top soil and play sand from? I usually just buy the already mix substrate, so never had to buy the two separately.

s.w.larkin

5 Year Member
Canada
I use 50% Topsoil, 40% Coco Coir, 10% Play sand.

Got the topsoil and the sand from Home Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.