humidity? humid hide?

grumpytort

Location (City and/or State)
Bristol, England
Hi again,

I've got a one year old russian tort, i've had him 3 weeks, he's living in an open top table (4 x 2 ft). I was understanding that tortoise tables were best for these tortoises but after some reading on here i'm worried i've made a mistake. Should the table have a cover on it, if so, what could i do? The humidity is reading mostly between 60-65% but sometimes drops to 50% - is this ok? Should i have humid hide, if so what do i use!! The substrate he's on at the moment is a mixture of wood chips and hay pellets, is this ok for him?

ANY advice and help will be more than welcomed!! thank you :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes, your tort will benefit from a closed chamber. An open table cannot maintain humidity mor temperatures necessary for good health.

Neither wood chips nor hay pellets are a suitable substrate. They are far too dry.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Baby Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/[/QUOTE

grumpytort

Bristol, England
Thanks for replying JoesMum, he does have a closed part to his table and I have 2 different hides for him to chose from in his open part. I also have an old wooden vivarium with a glass front (heard glass isn't recommended however) which used to be used for own beardie. is this a more suitable home for tort?

Regarding substrates, what do you recommend? I've heard about coco coir?

The humidity is reading as 70% currently, hopefully with a damper substrate he will be happier. Find it so frustrating with conflicting tips and advice online and also from people in reptile shops, just want my tort to be happy :tort:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks for replying JoesMum, he does have a closed part to his table and I have 2 different hides for him to chose from in his open part. I also have an old wooden vivarium with a glass front (heard glass isn't recommended however) which used to be used for own beardie. is this a more suitable home for tort?
It depends on the floor area. How big is the floor of this viv? Babies do great in vivariums - a strip of paper can be taped to the front so your tort can’t see out if it tried to.

Due to the depth of substrate needed (at least 5cm/2inches) a top entry viv works better than a front entry one.

Regarding substrates, what do you recommend? I've heard about coco coir?
Fine grade orchid bark (cheapest from a garden centre or Amazon) is very popular with babies and holds the moisture well. Don’t get the coarse stuff!

Coco coir works well too. That is also cheaper from a garden centre or Amazon. You can buy it in compacted bricks that you soak to break down.

Don’t buy anything with additives like fertilisers, moisture retainer, sand, vermiculite or calcium pieces. Some branded tortoise substrates add calcium bits which is ridiculous; you don’t want to encourage your tort to eat the substrate! It appears to cost a lot to print a tortoise on the pack; branded substrate is much more expensive than buying the same thing from a garden centre.

The humidity is reading as 70% currently, hopefully with a damper substrate he will be happier. Find it so frustrating with conflicting tips and advice online and also from people in reptile shops, just want my tort to be happy :tort:
That is how TFO became so successful. We are a group of people with many decades of tortoise keeping experience who are trying to get the right information out there.

Read those links I gave you and ignore the other websites. As for pet stores - their staff rarely employ anyone who actually keeps tortoises. The same applies to vets unfortunately. If you ever need one, and I didn’t for 40 years, then find one experienced with tortoises.

grumpytort

Bristol, England
The viv is 4 x 1.5 ft, his current house is 4 x 2 ft so it is a bit smaller but if it is more appropriate then i would be happy to change it. I will get coco coir and fine orchid bark. I did hear about the branded tortoise substrate and told to stay away, i think he knows the difference between food but i wouldn't want to even risk it.

Glad somewhere like this exists so we can learn the correct things for our tort's. Thank you so much.