Adult Horsfield (4 years) - how to lower humidity

Newby Tort Mum

Location (City and/or State)
London
We adopted our Horsfield recently, he's around 4 years old and was being raised in the wrong conditions, beech chips, small vivarium with the wrong lighting etc. We've just made the largest tortoise table that will fit in our flat (we're in the UK) - it's just under 6foot by 4foot. He has an Arcadia T5 34" UVB bulb that runs the length above his table and a basking flood bulb at one end with some hides and a cooler end at the other. We've just added the substrate for him - it's a 50/50 mix of Wickes graded topsoil (recommended brand in UK) and Eco Earth coco coir. For some reason the humidity is reading around 80%. Is there a way we can get it down, or will it be ok for him as it will dry out on its own?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That humidity is fine it won't hurt. Just let it go diwn on it's own. Try keeping it between 30-50 for a tort of 4. Higher is better for hatchlings.

Newby Tort Mum

London
That humidity is fine it won't hurt. Just let it go diwn on it's own. Try keeping it between 30-50 for a tort of 4. Higher is better for hatchlings.
Thanks so much. He's been in his temporary table whilst I wait for it to go down, as I'm worried about him getting stressed from the change. Hopefully the lights will help alleviate some of the humidity and he'll adjust to his new and improved environment soon.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just wondering how accurate your hygrometer is? What kind are you using, placement, etc. Many of the analog gauges are reportedly way off. Old saying, “Trust but Verify”.

Newby Tort Mum

London
Just wondering how accurate your hygrometer is? What kind are you using, placement, etc. Many of the analog gauges are reportedly way off. Old saying, “Trust but Verify”.
Thanks- it was an Eidyer Digital Thermometer/ Hygrometer bought on Amazon. Is there a brand of Hygrometer you recommend? Will happily buy replacement and put it to use alongside the other! It's strange, because I mixed his substrate in his new table on Friday morning and it's still reading around 80% - the probe is hanging just above the substrate. I had placed it just on top/ into the substrate and it shot up to 90%(!!).