T8 / fixture question

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
We've all been instructed at some point on this forum not to place any obstructions (glass, screen, etc.) between the UVB source and the enclosure due to the UVB being filtered out by such obstructions. So I have a T8 setup similar to the one pictured below, and it donned on me that there is a plastic protective lens covering the bulb. Should I remove this lens or am I over-thinking this?

4173EN3QkxL.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yes, the plastic cover should be removed.

That fixture and bulb is not a very good choice for a tortoise. They put out very low levels of UVB. The bulb they actually send is a 15 watt they say is 7.0 UVB. With a T8 tube that would produce very little UVB. The fixture itself is not good quality and a cheap ballast. Probably need to be about 6" from tortoise height, but don't do anything without a meter to check. I would strongly suggest returning that and getting a better fixture and bulb.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Yes, the plastic cover should be removed.

That fixture and bulb is not a very good choice for a tortoise. They put out very low levels of UVB. The bulb they actually send is a 15 watt they say is 7.0 UVB. With a T8 tube that would produce very little UVB. The fixture itself is not good quality and a cheap ballast. Probably need to be about 6" from tortoise height, but don't do anything without a meter to check. I would strongly suggest returning that and getting a better fixture and bulb.
This is a backup bulb that is attached to my battery backup system for when the power goes out. It's not the primary one I use. It only comes on during a power outage. I figured something is better than nothing, and the low wattage is easier on my batteries.

Oh... and BTW.... thanks for the answer!!!

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This is a backup bulb that is attached to my battery backup system for when the power goes out. It's not the primary one I use. It only comes on during a power outage. I figured something is better than nothing, and the low wattage is easier on my batteries.

Oh... and BTW.... thanks for the answer!!!
For something like that I would recommend a simple LED screw in bulb - perhaps 75 watt equivalent. would probably only draw about 9 watts and would be much brighter than this fixture. You don't need UVB in an emergency - just light to get by.