Whats the difference between T5 and T8 lamps

Strawb

Location (City and/or State)
Dubai
16FCED3E-D451-4215-9B21-FA2E8D5E3C94.jpeg hi everyone

Can anyone advise on the difference between a T5 and T8 fliurescent UVB lamp?

Ive been reading around the forums that the arcadia HO UVB T5 lamps are very good but those are not readily available here in Dubai.

The JBL Reptil sun T8 lamps are in stock in a few shops here and was thinking of getting them but wanted to learn more about it before finalizing my purchase.

This will be used for a closed chamber for my indian star tortoises.

Thanks in advance

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
View attachment 253657 hi everyone

Can anyone advise on the difference between a T5 and T8 fliurescent UVB lamp?

Ive been reading around the forums that the arcadia HO UVB T5 lamps are very good but those are not readily available here in Dubai.

The JBL Reptil sun T8 lamps are in stock in a few shops here and was thinking of getting them but wanted to learn more about it before finalizing my purchase.

This will be used for a closed chamber for my indian star tortoises.

Thanks in advance

The difference is the size. Either will be fine

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Diameter, wattage, length, light and UV output.

T5 HO bulbs put out a lot more light and UV than T8 bulbs, and they are also slightly shorter and higher wattage. Using the T5 allows the user to get stronger UV at greater distances from the tortoise.

I don't know that brand of bulbs at all, so I cannot speculate about distances. A UV meter is essential to mount your bulbs at the correct height. Here is the only effective meter I know of: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Diameter, wattage, length, light and UV output.

T5 HO bulbs put out a lot more light and UV than T8 bulbs, and they are also slightly shorter and higher wattage. Using the T5 allows the user to get stronger UV at greater distances from the tortoise.

I don't know that brand of bulbs at all, so I cannot speculate about distances. A UV meter is essential to mount your bulbs at the correct height. Here is the only effective meter I know of: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Do the T5 bulbs last any longer? I currently use the Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 T8 bulbs in my enclosures but due for new bulbs at the end of this year (I change bulbs every 6 months). I'm now looking at the Arcadia 12% T5 instead, since I learned the T5 provide better UV. I've already bought one ballast and a bulb to try out before I spend the funds for a replacement light set-up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do the T5 bulbs last any longer? I currently use the Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 T8 bulbs in my enclosures but due for new bulbs at the end of this year (I change bulbs every 6 months). I'm now looking at the Arcadia 12% T5 instead, since I learned the T5 provide better UV. I've already bought one ballast and a bulb to try out before I spend the funds for a replacement light set-up.
Both bulbs last a very long time. Years. So says my UV meter. No need to replace them every six months. My Arcadia bulbs started producing less UV at about 2 years old and I lowered them about and inch or two and then the reading was good again. Regular ZooMed 10.0 bulbs produce very little UV and must be mounted no more than 10-12 inches form the tortoise to give them any UV at all, but they do last and stay consistent for 2 or 3 years at least. My tortoises outgrew that enclosure so I stopped using mine, but they were good for 3 years.

Get a Solarmeter 6.5. You'll save a ton of money on bulbs over time and always have them mounted at the right height.

Strawb

Dubai
Thank you for the really informative replies.

Another question is do the T8 lamps use the same holder and ballast as a T5 lamp? Reason im asking is i can get the available T8 here and if i do eventually decide to swap out for a T5 in the near future. Would i need to change the holder and ballast again?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Another question is do the T8 lamps use the same holder and ballast as a T5 lamp? Reason im asking is i can get the available T8 here and if i do eventually decide to swap out for a T5 in the near future. Would i need to change the holder and ballast again?
T5 is five eighths of an inch diameter. T8 is one inch diameter. You need different holders for each

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

They use different sized fixtures and ballasts. T5s are a bit more wattage too.

Strawb

Dubai
Thanks for all the advise and info guys.

I decided to order the Arcadia 39W D3 T5 HO lamps with 12% UVB 30% UVA and will probably get me some 6500k flourescent tube lamps for ambient lighting

Strawb

Dubai
Hello again friends

What would be the optimal height for the Arcadia 39W T5 with 12% UVB from the substrate for optimized UVB intake? Ive been reading a lot and there have been a couple of mixed suggestions.

Appreciate your help in advance

Thanks

Wolfpackin

Colorado
I use this chart when I don't have access to a solar meter and find it helpful:
https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

As you can see, the T5 Arcadia 12% with a reflector puts out a high amount of UV.
Depending on what UVI levels you are trying to achieve it looks like you'll want a minimum of 12" from the top of the carapace when using a reflector and no screen blocking the light. This assumes the Sunbeam Method where shaded or lower UVI level areas are accessible to the tortoise.

The chart should only be used as a general guideline and setups should be checked with a solar meter.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello again friends

What would be the optimal height for the Arcadia 39W T5 with 12% UVB from the substrate for optimized UVB intake? Ive been reading a lot and there have been a couple of mixed suggestions.

Appreciate your help in advance

Thanks

My Arcadia 12% HO bulbs gave me a reading of between 6 and 7 at about 22" inches from the substrate. That is really high, so I decided to only run the UV for 3-4 hours a day mid day to simulate the normal mid day UV spike that happens outside. I wouldn't use a 12% bulb all day long unless you can mount it 26-28" away and test it with a meter. I'd want a UVI reading of about 3-4 if I was going to run the bulbs all day.

Strawb

Dubai
I use this chart when I don't have access to a solar meter and find it helpful:
https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

As you can see, the T5 Arcadia 12% with a reflector puts out a high amount of UV.
Depending on what UVI levels you are trying to achieve it looks like you'll want a minimum of 12" from the top of the carapace when using a reflector and no screen blocking the light. This assumes the Sunbeam Method where shaded or lower UVI level areas are accessible to the tortoise.

The chart should only be used as a general guideline and setups should be checked with a solar meter.

Thankyou for the link. Its still a bit confusing for me but this is good info as a starting benchmark.

So many things to consider.

To use or not use a reflector?

Minimum height with and without a reflector?

I guess without a solar meter its pretty much guess work

Strawb

Dubai
My Arcadia 12% HO bulbs gave me a reading of between 6 and 7 at about 22" inches from the substrate. That is really high, so I decided to only run the UV for 3-4 hours a day mid day to simulate the normal mid day UV spike that happens outside. I wouldn't use a 12% bulb all day long unless you can mount it 26-28" away and test it with a meter. I'd want a UVI reading of about 3-4 if I was going to run the bulbs all day.

22” thats almost at 2’. Are you using it with a reflector?

When you say you run it 3-4hrs a day? Is it that time your torts are out of their hides? Cos it would be a bit redundant if i run the arcadia for a couple of hours and when its on they are in their hides and when it switches off is when they come out?

I do know the standard routine my babies go about but theres still that chance they might miss that window for UVB?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
22” thats almost at 2’. Are you using it with a reflector?

When you say you run it 3-4hrs a day? Is it that time your torts are out of their hides? Cos it would be a bit redundant if i run the arcadia for a couple of hours and when its on they are in their hides and when it switches off is when they come out?

I do know the standard routine my babies go about but theres still that chance they might miss that window for UVB?
Yes I use it with a reflector.

Doesn't matter what their daily habits are. Running it 3-4 hours mid day will allow them plenty of UV access. And their routine is likely to change over the course of a year and over the course of their lives. Still, the strongest UV when they are outdoors is mid day, so this simulates that to some degree.

Strawb

Dubai
Yes I use it with a reflector.

Doesn't matter what their daily habits are. Running it 3-4 hours mid day will allow them plenty of UV access. And their routine is likely to change over the course of a year and over the course of their lives. Still, the strongest UV when they are outdoors is mid day, so this simulates that to some degree.

That makes sense.

For the arcadia? If you use it without the reflector, how much difference UV would it generate at the same height?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That makes sense.

For the arcadia? If you use it without the reflector, how much difference UV would it generate at the same height?
I don't know. I've never tried. Only a UV meter in your enclosure with your bulb can answer that question. Anything else is a guess.