switching substrate, need opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
my Russian is currently on 4" of coco coir. i have trouble keeping humidity up obviously. i hear a lot of people use cypress mulch mixed with the coco coir but I'm not fond of killing cypress trees for it. and i feel for a borrowing tortoise it would be too sharp? what about sand and coir mixed? i know i need more substrate, I'm aiming for 6", i just need something to mix it with that will cancel out the coirs dustyness and help him burrow, because he does love that :) i don't really have the luxury of testing them out for my tortoise is suffering in the heat and having damp, cool substrate is my only option.

Sent from my MB886 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First I would use plain fertilizer and pesticide free dirt, not sand. Also, you do know Russians don't need a really high humidity. I believe 40-50% is good for them. I don't own one, but that is the info I have read from other members that do own them.

stinax182

5 Year Member
alright, thank you. and my problem is the room he is in doesn't drop enough for him. the temps are 82° during the day and 75° at night. he's recently stopped eating and being active since warmer weather showed up this spring. i can't move him from the room so I'm trying to give him nice, cool damp dirt to retreat into.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
I use premium organic orchid mix with Eco earth loose coconut fiber substrate. It's easy, cheap, solid yet not too loose, and in the time I've had my tort, she's had no issues with it

stinax182

5 Year Member
i think I'm going to go with the coco bricks mixed with garden soil. maybe I'll add cypress mulch near the water and food dish area.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I would use one third organic soil with one third Sphagnum moss and one third (or less) sand.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch using TortForum mobile app

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would never use sand in a enclosure with a tort that loves to dig. You are asking for trouble...

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I used a soil sand combo and my little dude got sand in his eyes within the first few weeks, had to redo the whole enclosure to get ride of the sand, it's not worth it to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.