Swimming Redfoot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
Yea he's a goof! But he also seems very comfortable in the water too!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I didn't know tortoises could swim. Looks like doggy paddling. lol

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
Yea, it is pretty surprising but some torts appear to have an air bladder of some sort because he just bobs like a cork!

Instinct

5 Year Member
Upstate New York
I didn't know tortoises could swim either...
I just figured between the weight of their bodies and how their appendages move they would be incapable of keeping afloat.

Guess you learn something new everyday! :)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Very cute!

Life is good

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Maybe redfoots need to swim due to their location in the wild? Don't they live in tropical places in south america that get a lot of rain?

I'm not dropping my leopard in a tub of water to find out. lol

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
Haha yes they do live in areas like brazil! And yea I was very hesitant to try it. My friend just decided to try it on his own first so I felt better about it!

Tortus said:
Maybe redfoots need to swim due to their location in the wild? Don't they live in tropical places in south america that get a lot of rain?

I'm not dropping my leopard in a tub of water to find out. lol

I did actually fin this on YouTube just now though haha! And I saw videos of sulcutas too.

http://youtu.be/HxbAglDko7c

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Sezdawg said:
I did actually fin this on YouTube just now though haha! And I saw videos of sulcutas too.

http://youtu.be/HxbAglDko7c

Looks funny swimming. If tortoises actually absorb water through their butts as some on here claim, wouldn't that leopard be absorbing salt water?

Sezdawg

5 Year Member
I just don't know whether to believe that lol. Lots of folks also say torts can't swim, soooo.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a cautionary note: Not all tortoises can swim. The most common tortoise used to be the desert tortoise, and they sink like a stone. So the rule about tortoises not being able to swim used to be true. Now a days more imported tortoises are in captivity, and the rule doesn't apply overall anymore. Leopard tortoises float very well too.

I still have the rule about fencing off your in-the-ground pool on my adoption application. If your redfoot or leopard fell into the pool when no one was home to rescue it, it would soon tire and might drown. However, the giant galop tortoises more than likely floated to the islands from South America...a trip that took a bit more time than a day or two.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I have mountain tortoises and they tend to float and are pretty mobile in water. They also are known for loving water and ponds

apromann4

5 Year Member
philippines
My red foot can swim too, i accidentally spill more water when i soak torti, i was amaze he floats, ater 6 months i got my 2 nd red foot, i tried if he can floats, and he did, i though that the first was just a rare thing, but my 2nd did foalt too, n now, am new in this forum i found out other people had that experience too, its amazing, i have red a lot before i buy a tort, and all site said never soak more chin level coz they cn' t swim

abclements

5 Year Member
Ya there's quite a few tort species that can float. Actually the only one that I've heard of that can't is the California Desert Tort.

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Yvonne, Do you know for a fact that desert tortoises cannot swim? Or is this "old facts". I would be inclined to believe that they can. Two years ago, everyone "knew" that leopards couldn't swim as well. What would be different about their anatomy that would exclude this?
Yvonne G said:
Just a cautionary note: Not all tortoises can swim. The most common tortoise used to be the desert tortoise, and they sink like a stone. So the rule about tortoises not being able to swim used to be true. Now a days more imported tortoises are in captivity, and the rule doesn't apply overall anymore. Leopard tortoises float very well too.

I still have the rule about fencing off your in-the-ground pool on my adoption application. If your redfoot or leopard fell into the pool when no one was home to rescue it, it would soon tire and might drown. However, the giant galop tortoises more than likely floated to the islands from South America...a trip that took a bit more time than a day or two.

George red foot

5 Year Member
Wow I saw this and had to try it! George loves it! Can't believe he can swim!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1369244913.725336.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.