Swelling

Peggynurse

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I am a total worrier I came home from work and my little leopard tort has a mild swelling in her neck and I noticed she didn't eat all her food as usual I am going to book a appointment for her to see a vet but it may be a while since it is very hard to get a appointment any thoughts she acts normal otherwise ??IMG_20210820_210526897.jpg

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I am a total worrier I came home from work and my little leopard tort has a mild swelling in her neck and I noticed she didn't eat all her food as usual I am going to book a appointment for her to see a vet but it may be a while since it is very hard to get a appointment any thoughts she acts normal otherwise ??View attachment 331320
To me, a lay person, it looks like your tort got its neck caught on something, like it's own shell, substrate, etc. So I'll leave it to our experts, but welcome to the forum. Someone will be along soon.

Is your tort having any problems breathing, eating or other symptoms? How long have you had him & how old is he? He's definitely a cutie.

Peggynurse

San Diego, CA
Less the one year old tort we have had it for a few months now not eating as well as normal that is what has me concerned. I was able to get her / him a appointment today after calling like 20 Vets ! No trouble breathing

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Make sure that your habitat contains the proper environment for Leopards...use this information to check your parameters:

The most common reason for inappetence/illness in captive torts is incorrect environment.

Peggynurse

San Diego, CA
Make sure that your habitat contains the proper environment for Leopards...use this information to check your parameters:

The most common reason for inappetence/illness in captive torts is incorrect environment.
Yes this care sheet is the only one I follow temp is 80 to 100 and humidity is usually 70 to 80 % enclosed environment soak her a few times per week she has been great until now I did catch her trying to eat the bark chips the other day Wich has me concerned that I maybe looking at a foreign body in her cheek

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Yes this care sheet is the only one I follow temp is 80 to 100 and humidity is usually 70 to 80 % enclosed environment soak her a few times per week she has been great until now I did catch her trying to eat the bark chips the other day Wich has me concerned that I maybe looking at a foreign body in her cheek
Foreign objects are problematic with youngsters...when was the last stool?

They hate it as much as human babies do...but you can try to visualize the mouth/upper throat by gently wiggling a tongue depressor into the side of the mouth.

Increase soaks to once daily -- add pureed grass clippings or curly endive for the nutrition. They can drink or even absorb some liquid through the tail vent.

Peggynurse

San Diego, CA
Foreign objects are problematic with youngsters...when was the last stool?

They hate it as much as human babies do...but you can try to visualize the mouth/upper throat by gently wiggling a tongue depressor into the side of the mouth.

Increase soaks to once daily -- add pureed grass clippings or curly endive for the nutrition. They can drink or even absorb some liquid through the tail vent.
I will leave the opening of the mouth to the Vet !! Haha last BM was this Am she is eating just not like her usual lawn mower self

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I will leave the opening of the mouth to the Vet !! Haha last BM was this Am she is eating just not like her usual lawn mower self
I would not jump into running to a vet unless you know 100% he/she has a lot of experience with tortoises. Usually they don't and do more harm then good.
Just keep an eye on it. If it starts to look like it's getting a actual sore then put some neosporin on it or you can do that now.
If anything else gets worse then consider a vet. It may be a bug bite, or any of the other suggested causes.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
If she's eating, there's nothing in her mouth/throat preventing her biting and swallowing.

Do you keep a weight diary? Appetite can wax and wane (especially when sunlight is reduced, they can strongly cue from the actual outdoor environment -- if it's been cloudy or any smoke layer reaches to you in SD, CA) but weight will tell you a lot about actual week-to-week health status.

Do a daily grass-water soak just for the supplementation and keep an eye on things.

Peggynurse

San Diego, CA
Well less vet visit went ok I guess I let them put her on a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and that was it didn't want them to get too crazy so we will see how she does she did come home and eat a little of her soaked mizuri pellets wouldn't touch the herbivore critical care they gave me so we will see

Peggynurse

San Diego, CA
If she's eating, there's nothing in her mouth/throat preventing her biting and swallowing.

Do you keep a weight diary? Appetite can wax and wane (especially when sunlight is reduced, they can strongly cue from the actual outdoor environment -- if it's been cloudy or any smoke layer reaches to you in SD, CA) but weight will tell you a lot about actual week-to-week health status.

Do a daily grass-water soak just for the supplementation and keep an eye on things.
I do think she maybe having a little trouble swallowing ??? Maybe that's why she isn't eating as much but no open mouth breathing she isn't pawing at her face just the little swelling under her cheek she marches around her enclosure as usual

Peggynurse

San Diego, CA
Well less vet visit went ok I guess I let them put her on a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and that was it didn't want them to get too crazy so we will see how she does she did come home and eat a little of her soaked mizuri pellets wouldn't touch the herbivore critical care they gave me so we will see
Hell if she will not eat the critical care maybe I will soak her in it !!!??

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Drug clearance in reptiles is very slow - be sure to do a twice-daily soak.

Use a probiotic replacement labelled for reptiles. Disruption of the gut flora can be quite serious.

Whizz the Critical Care with some water in a blender to suspend the nutrients...then, yes you can use it to soak.

Peggynurse

San Diego, CA
Drug clearance in reptiles is very slow - be sure to do a twice-daily soak.

Use a probiotic replacement labelled for reptiles. Disruption of the gut flora can be quite serious.

Whizz the Critical Care with some water in a blender to suspend the nutrients...then, yes you can use it to soak.
Is there a particular probiotic you recommend ? Sprinkle on her food and hope she eats it ?

Peggynurse

San Diego, CA
Thank you all for being so helpful you all probably have more knowledge then the vet I saw today I do have a backup appointment set if she is not getting better they just couldn't see her for another week and this little tort means the world to my son she got him through his Covid depression

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Is there a particular probiotic you recommend ? Sprinkle on her food and hope she eats it ?
This is a powder:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058DVVAM/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

This is a paste:
Thank you all for being so helpful you all probably have more knowledge then the vet I saw today I do have a backup appointment set if she is not getting better they just couldn't see her for another week and this little tort means the world to my son she got him through his Covid depression
Let us know how you're getting on.

Peggynurse

San Diego, CA
Well so far the little Tort is still eating little bits here and there ordered probiotics getting the anti-inflammatories into her has been a challenge she did like nibbling on the hibiscus flower I gave her

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
When I fed my tort critical care I made a paste of it and spread it on romaine leaves which was the only thing he was interested in. That may not be very helpful if he isn't eating though. I hope he's better soon.

zovick

10 Year Member!
This is a powder:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058DVVAM/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

This is a paste:

Let us know how you're getting on.
Just FYI, Bene-Bac comes as a powder as well as a paste. Just pick which brand and type (paste or powder) you think your tortoise will eat most readily and try it. I always used the powder personally as I found the pastes more messy and harder to get my tortoises to accept.