Surely & Ruby - on the way HOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterweezel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dickinson, Texas
Ruby found a corner and hid today. Surely walked the boundaries of the yard over and over and over!

He had numerous visitors and he was very curious and outgoing. He played chase with the cat a lot. He was having a blast - the cat, not so much.

I will be home watching their actions tomorrow. Surely was quite hungry today. I will provide them a better variety tomorrow.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Walking the boundaries is normal for just getting one home to a new environment.

waterweezel

5 Year Member
Dickinson, Texas
Ok, well this is day 6 and Ruby is now, finally, walking the boundaries of the yard. Today, Surely is finally relaxed and settled in - not walking the boundaries. I got pictures of Ruby's plastron. Here they are...k

RubyUnder1 (1).JPG
RubyUnder2.JPG
RubyUnder3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's a male.

Tortoises don't have friends. They only sometimes tolerate each other. There may be exceptions to this sometimes in some species, like redfoots, but not in sulcatas. You are not likely to "see" any bullying or ramming. If it ever happened it happened long ago. Now you have a smaller submissive animal that cannot escape the territory of the larger dominant animal who has told him and continues to tell him to leave. This is not a good situation for Ruby.

Its not "normal" for a male sulcata of that age to hide and be reclusive that way. I'd bet money that within a few weeks of being separated Ruby would "come out of his shell".

Try to remember that I stand to gain nothing by telling you this, yet I'm willing to risk upsetting you or having an argument because I feel it is THAT important that you understand what is going on. They are not friends. Ruby wants desperately to escape the territory of his oppressor. Since he can't escape he has to hide all the time and try not to attract attention from the big boy. I say this because I have seen it many times over the years. I saw it in my own pen recently after I separated my boys and left poor Delores alone with Scooter. Different motivations here, but a similar outcome. Delores hardly ever came out of her night box.

M

Maggie Cummings

I absolutely agree with Tom. Adult male Sulcata do not have friends and Ruby is hiding because he knows he will be beat up or killed by the bigger male. They really do need to be separated before Ruby gets hurt. The bullying is mental all the physical stuff is over now it's just mental, and Ruby's life is hell. He lives in fear on a daily basis. Please separate them...

waterweezel

5 Year Member
Dickinson, Texas
What is so interesting about all this is the shyness on Ruby's part all began when we got to Texas. In NC, their old home, they wandered together, ate together, and went to bed face to face together.

Today Ruby finally came out of his 'hiding' and wandered the yard. Surely and Ruby passed each other many times without any behavior issues. They ate with each other and just wandered into the house together, one behind the other.

I can understand the potential need to separate these guys but I don't believe there has been any agression thus far with the comfort they have shown with each other for the past 2 years.

Your thoughts?...k

Oh, and darn...I got them because i wanted them to be my friends...k

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Yes, Ruby and Shirley are both boys for sure! You have been so amazing to take them in and I have no doubt that their life with you and your husband will be a phenomenal one. I know when Loretta had one, they did very well together and both thrived. From what I heard from Shirley's previous owner, Shirley seemed to have the personality of a female, being very sweet (although some female Sulcatas are aggressive), not dominating and was housed at one point with 3 Leopards. Two of the Leopards died, but for 10 years, Shirley and this 10 pound female Leopard were together. From talking with the first owner, I thought Shirely was female until I saw pictures. Actually there were many times when the female Leopard was mounting Shirley, which the owner thought the Leopard was a male lol. Shirley never rammed or expressed aggressiveness. Loretta then took Shirley and then got Ruby shortly after that. From what I have heard, they do very well together and that Shirley has never done anything aggressive towards Ruby. I would continue to watch them in general, as they are adjusting to their new environment..which I'm sure you can't take your eyes off them with the enjoyment of having them lol. Loretta mentioned Ruby being over 12 inches, but not sure exactly the scl size, as sexual maturity in males is generally 15-16 inches.

John

5 Year Member
Animals is general are funny, I don't think blanket statements should be made especially concerning behaviour, I do realize that people here are speaking from alot of experience but I have to say that after 35 years I am still seeing things that surprise me. These two animals could very well get along, the change in environment could have caused the one to become secretive.I do think though that as christy pointed out whatever is going on now could very well change when sexual maturity is reached, or at any time for that matter so you should be prepared to split there enclosure in half if the need should arise, so just keep an eye on them and enjoy your friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.