Status
Not open for further replies.

waterweezel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dickinson, Texas
I am so excited!!!
Ok, my first thread.

My name is Kelly and I became a member to search for my lost leopard. But, that's a story for another time.

I met Loretta through Christy. What a beautiful soul. Her ailing health has necessitated her need to rehome her two male sulcatas (yes, I said MALE). She got them as rescues and has taken amazing care of these guys. They are clearly healthy and happy and oh so social.

I live in Texas and Loretta lives in North Carolina. She wasn't willing to ship and my pilot friend was working the shuttle launch so couldn't commit to helping with the transportation. I tried pilots and paws but, alas, no luck. Maybe if I'd tried some tagline like "big, strong, buff African American in search of..." but my post was just the facts.

So, my husband and I decided to embark on a mission. Yes, we have now seen what Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, south Carolina and north Carolina look like in all its spring majesty!  It took us 17 hours, a 120 foot fence built along the bayou in the back yard, building a wooden transport box, and a new friend!

I've waited years to parent large tortoises but always wanted to be a rescue home rather than raising from babies. Finally, it has all worked out.

We are on our way home. The weather is magnificent!  Riding in the divided transport box are, let me introduce, 6 year old, 30 lb., Ruby and 11 year old, 80 lb. Surely!

As soon as we're home they will have 1/2 acre yard to play in. I will post more pictures when we are done with our journey and am so happy I found and joined your forum...k

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Can't wait to see pics...Congrats!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I heard from my friend that you guys had an incredible visit and she is so thrilled that they have a home with you two. What an adventure!!! I can't wait for you to continue to share your story with getting them home, their lives with you guys, and seeing pictures!!!

waterweezel

5 Year Member
Dickinson, Texas
16 hours of driving and we're home. Ruby and Surely didn't like the box at first so we didn't want to chance a getaway in the hotel room. The drive was pleasant, low traffice, and we avoided all storm damage.

Here are some pix...k

The fence...
P4250430.JPG

Travel accomodations...
IMG_0420.JPG
IMG_0421.JPG
IMG_0423.JPG

Proud Mom...
IMG_0428.JPG

Shy Ruby...
P5010443.JPG
P5010442.JPG

Bold Surely - or is that Surely Bold!...
P5010444.JPG
P5010435.JPG
P5010433.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What a heart-warming story. I'm so glad this has worked out for both of you.

Just a caution about your fence, though. I'm not sure its tall enough or that it will withstand the test of the sulcata.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Kelly...they are gorgeous! They look like they were well cared for...their pyramiding is so minimal that it's hardly worth mentioning...so I won't:p When you get a chance lay them on their backs and take photos of their underside...so we can see if you have a boy and girl...two girls or what! Congratulations again...they were worth the drive!

waterweezel

5 Year Member
Dickinson, Texas
emysemys said:
What a heart-warming story. I'm so glad this has worked out for both of you.

Just a caution about your fence, though. I'm not sure its tall enough or that it will withstand the test of the sulcata.

Yes, we built joints such that we can add an additional 12". If this doesn't hold them, we are prepared to trench and put in a concrete barrier - around all 3 sides of the yard.

Their history is of homebodies and no digging. I hope i get their environment 'just right' to keep up these traits!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Woo hoo! Glad it all worked out.

So their pen is ONLY a 1/2 acre? Why so small?

.... HA! Kidding... only kidding...

Nice job. Glad everyone made the trip safely.

waterweezel

5 Year Member
Dickinson, Texas
DeanS said:
Kelly...they are gorgeous! They look like they were well cared for...their pyramiding is so minimal that it's hardly worth mentioning...so I won't:p When you get a chance lay them on their backs and take photos of their underside...so we can see if you have a boy and girl...two girls or what! Congratulations again...they were worth the drive!

Well, Shy Ruby won't come out so i'll give him some space. Here is the underside of Bold Surely...
P5010429.JPG

I've been told they were named when the owners thought they were girls but they have both been sexed boys. Will be interested to hear y'alls input...k

Last edited by a moderator:

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I know with the pictures that came to me from the original owner (prior to Loretta), Shirley was a confirmed male. With Ruby, I wasn't able to see pictures but Loretta said Ruby showed his sex organ by flashing her, has a concave plastron, and has is "v" shaped. I would definitely get a picture of Ruby to confirm, but all that sounds male to me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I concur. Both male. That's also a likely explanation for Ruby's "shyness". He's hiding for fear of being killed, literally. That kind of stress is not good for them long term. Is it possible to separate them? They will likely never get along. I raised my two males together from hatchlings. I think they are clutchmates even. They got along great until the one day at 10 years old when they didn't get a long any more. I have to keep them separate now and forever. Mine were pretty even in size so they just constantly battled. Since Ruby is much smaller he doesn't stand much of a chance and Shilrey probably hammers him and intimidates him on sight. I'll bet you Ruby's temperament changes within a few days of being separated.

waterweezel

5 Year Member
Dickinson, Texas
Tom said:
I concur. Both male. That's also a likely explanation for Ruby's "shyness". He's hiding for fear of being killed, literally. That kind of stress is not good for them long term. Is it possible to separate them? They will likely never get along. I raised my two males together from hatchlings. I think they are clutchmates even. They got along great until the one day at 10 years old when they didn't get a long any more. I have to keep them separate now and forever. Mine were pretty even in size so they just constantly battled. Since Ruby is much smaller he doesn't stand much of a chance and Shilrey probably hammers him and intimidates him on sight. I'll bet you Ruby's temperament changes within a few days of being separated.

Surely and Ruby have been good friends at their previous home. Surely hasn't shown any aggressive behavior. I am glad to know that could change. I will definitely watch for this behavior.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I love this story! Thanks for sharing and thank's for all of the pics!! I look forward to hearing more about Ruby & Surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.