SuperThrive on Plants For Sulcata Tortoises To Eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterandlois

5 Year Member
I was wondering,is there any harm by spraying Superthrive which is a vitamin booster for plants which are housed with my Sulcata Tortoises for them to eat? Such as cacti,grasses,and Aloe Vera?

jbean7916

5 Year Member
I would be wary of spraying anything in my sully's home. What are the ingredients?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
"The hormone 1-Naphthyl acetic acid (NAA) does not occur naturally. Under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), products containing NAA require registration with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as pesticides. The sale of Superthrive is prohibited in Oklahoma, Minnesota, and Oregon as an unregistered pesticide."

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this stuff....where I use to work I used this "juice" on any tree that we planted and did not thrive....I have put this on a tree that was darn near 90% dry and dead and within 1 week of slamming it every day...bam...tree was sprouting leaves like crazy...

However, there has been controversy as to the ingredients, since the creator of the "juice" has never printed the entire ingredient list (kinda don't blame him, as someone would just steal it and modify one thing and resale under their label) it is primarily designed for root shock treatment....I have been tempted sooo many times to spray it to some yummies but then I would not be able to feed to my CDTs in good setting....

I have used it on my two Hibiscus shrubs that I planted this year...used it when I first planted them as I know I will not be feeding from them for an entire year...so all will be clear by next year but wanted to prevent initial planting shock...

The starting statement here is what stops me every time when I am tempted.... the above statement is also from Wiki.... :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use it when I plant new stuff too, knowing that I won't be feeding it out anytime soon.

You said "spray" it. I was taught to dilute it with water and pour it into the soil near the roots.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hey Tom, how ya doin? :D I administer it directly to the soil around the plant well also, some folks though spray it---so it can drip down off of the plant into, well, the plant well....LOL

I do the plant well, as some plants do better in my neck of the desert being watered via ground vs water from above... just me though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.