Should I be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scooter

After Thor woke up from his nap I took him outside for some all natural sunshine. On the way out he made a sound that I can best describe as a sneeze. He did this twice. Then outside I looked at him and he had about 3 little bubbles coming out of the corner of his eye. I have held him to my ear and do not hear wheezing. He is a sully around 6 months old, weighs 60 grams is just under 3 inches long. He eats like a hog and is very active and strong. Below is a picture of his eye you can sort of see the bubbles. He is housed indoors and goes out when weather permits. He has a UV heat light. Half the enclosure is cypress mulch the other half is chemical free sod/weeds I got from my grandma. Thanks for the help.
IMG_2059.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
The only time I heard a sneezing/hacking sound from one of my turtles - it turned out to be pnuemonia. His eye doesn't look bad - are there bubbles from his nose or foaming around the mouth? If not, and he's eating well and not lethargic, I would just keep an eye on him. Watch him closely and if he shows any other symptoms get him to a vet. Good luck! :)

S

Scooter

He only made that sound twice and the bubbles from the eyes only lasted about 5 minutes. There are no bubbles from his nose or mouth.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sulcatas are sometimes referred to as "the crying tortoise" because their eyes tend to water a lot if they're too dry. This usually presents as bubbles in the corner of an eye.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see this occasionally on one of mine after one of those "pull your head in quickly after being startled deals". You shouldn't see all the time or frequently. Keep an eye out for other symptoms like swollen eyes that don't want to open, more nose bubbles, lethargy, hiding all the time, loss of appetite, failure to bask or any other change in behavior from the norm.

In short I would be worried yet, but do keep a close eye out.

S

Scooter

Yvonne one side of the enclosure is grass/weeds the other side is cypress mulch. The top layer is dry but when you move the top layer away the rest is all moist. Is this too dry? Tom he was outside in a new area today and there were a couple times he pulled in quickly and I noticed it after that.

Thank you for the advice. I will be keeping an eye on him. He is taking another nap now after his trip outside.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I hope Thor improves quickly. :shy:

Be sure and post updates for us. It wouldn't hurt to put up some more photos of Thor so we can actually see his progress, too. What a studly dude! ;)

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
I'm just guessing as you were carrying him out on the way, he got startled and pulled his head in real quick. The air that is pushed out when their head goes in makes a sneezing sound.

A

alexjems41

Once this was happened with my tortoise too and i took him to a vet.He told me that there is no need to worry your tortoise is all fine.If you see that your tortoise is not improving or recovering then I will suggest you to take him to vet.

S

Scooter

Well this morning after his light came on he started wondering around his enclosure. Then he has is morning soak then immediately started eating. I haven't seen any more bubbles or heard any more noises.

Stephanie here are some pictures of him from his adventure outside yesterday. He normally doesn't care about the camera but with being outside he didn't seem to like it lol. I also included a picture of my Home's Hingeback Scoot. And no they are not housed together and were not together outside.
phpAZFDj5AM.jpg
phpMxvZAaAM.jpg
phpUK2GE9AM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.