Sunburned top of head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1234

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I recently changed my tortoise's living arrangement upon discovering that it wasn't humid or warm enough. In order to do this, I changed his substrate from timothy hay to coco coir. I also added a second CHE. The temps are now about 105 on the warm side and 80-ish on the cooler side. Humidity is around 65%. Still trying to get that up, but with a partially open-topped living situation, I don't know how much higher I can get it. I'm just trying to keep the coco coir as constantly wet as possible.

It's been about a week since I changed his habitat and he seemed to be liking it a lot. He was more active and he was eating more. However, I discovered this morning that his head and part of the top of his front legs were a strange dark brown/orange hue. It's almost as if he got a spray tan. I don't see any cracking or peeling of his skin. It also doesn't wipe off.

He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort and he's eating and romping around like normal, so I'm not terribly concerned, but I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2013-04-07 19.06.06.jpg
    2013-04-07 19.06.06.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 84
  • 2013-04-07 19.16.40.jpg
    2013-04-07 19.16.40.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 64

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi dk1234, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm pretty sure that's just staining from the substrate.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Mine had the same staining from new, moist coco coir. It will go away soon, when the substrate gets broken in a little.

dk1234

5 Year Member
Oh that's so good to hear. Thank you so much for your replies. I really appreciate it.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
My Leopard burnt the top of her nose on a CHE that was hanging too low a few months ago. It went dark brown, hard, and is just starting to peel now. It didn't bother her it seemed and she let me touch it. But this doesn't look the same so I don't think your tort is burnt; just what the others have said. Also, don't forget they naturally live in the desert so they have toughened skin.
- - - -
Okay, I THINK this is what happened, I can't be 100% sure. But yours deffo isn't burnt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.