Summer temps warm enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Here in Illinois it's usually in the 80s in the summer. There are usually a few days where it's in the 90s or close to 100.
Is 80 degree weather warm enough for Nelson? This summer I want to keep him outside during the day.
I'm sure it's fine, but I was just curious since his enclosure is in the 90s on the warm side.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Absolutely! In fact, 90's & near 100 is going to be too warm for regular tortoise activity. As long as your tortoise has adequate shade to escape the heat and sun there is no reason why it cannot be left outdoors even while the temperatures are in the 90's. A straw or leave filled hide area works best. The bottom at ground level will be much cooler under the straw or leafs that will act like insulation from the heat.

Your tortoise can also be safely kept outdoors day and night during the summer as long as it has shelter and the night time temperatures don't drop below 50 degrees very often. Most summer nights in the north aren't that cold.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Great thanks! I feel more comfortable taking him inside at night since he's young, and especially because of the raccoons and things in my area.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
OMG, Nelson is going outside?

Time for some ridiculously cute photos of the young admiral on patrol. ;)

Taco goes out when it's 60 or more degrees, though I don't leave her out long unless the temps are closer to 70. She LOVES it. :D

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Steph, I'm planning on building him an outdoor enclosure. I might just keep him in a bin/tort table on my second story deck so he's safe from animals (and my psychotic neighbors :p) but I want him to be outside during the day since it's so good for him!
He will still come in at night.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I bought that tortoise playpen from Zoomed, and I am planning on putting it together today so I can put Taco out while I'm teaching if the day is nice. ;)

Our next door neighbor saw a coyote in the front yard yesterday morning (very early), so even though I know I'm being paranoid and the coyote probably wouldn't notice or bother Taco, I just couldn't concentrate at work if I was worrying about her safety...geez, it's worse than having a toddler sometimes! :rolleyes:

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Yeah that's why I feel more comfortable putting him on a second story deck. Plus I'm fortunate that my mom works from home, so if it started raining or got too cold she could bring him in for me :) (hey there's one benefit of still living at home :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.