Summer Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseMan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham, UK
Hey people,

I've got a question, with my new tortoise we will want to build him a new outdoor enclosure as he is currently in a large (very large) planter, and during summer I will want to turn him out. So if anyone can answer these questions it would be much obliged!

Heres the list!

1) What size is a good size? He is not fully grown yet but close to (he is a spur thighed)

2) Should we plant some bushes for him to hide under during the day? And if so any to avoid?

3) How tall would the fence have to be as he has got a tendency to climb? Can be in relation to size.

4) Should he have access to grass and some soil? If so could you give a ratio?

Thanks in advance,
TM

M

Maggie Cummings

They are escape artists so make sure there is no foothold in the fence and you have capped the corners. Yes there should be bushes, your choice and I'd plant grass to graze on and weeds to eat. You want to create an enclosure that is self sustaining so he has a great place to live in...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And the bigger the better. A large, well-planted enclosure keeps their interest and makes them forget they want to escape. With a larger habitat, you can also add some visual barriers, like large rocks that he can't see around, little mounds for him to climb, etc.

I don't keep Greek tortoises, so I don't know much about their care. I'll leave that sort of info for others to help you with.

TortoiseMan

5 Year Member
Nottingham, UK
Hey people - thanks for all the information, im happy for any suggestions on what i could do!

Thanks again!

TM

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Just to clarify, are we talking about a Med. spur-thigh (Testudo graeca)or an African spur-thigh (Geochelene sulcata)? It really makes a difference.

If a Med, 10' X 10' is great...if African, eventually you'll need a lot more room, maybe an acre or so! :cool:

TortoiseMan

5 Year Member
Nottingham, UK
Terry Allan Hall said:
Just to clarify, are we talking about a Med. spur-thigh (Testudo graeca)or an African spur-thigh (Geochelene sulcata)? It really makes a difference.

If a Med, 10' X 10' is great...if African, eventually you'll need a lot more room, maybe an acre or so! :cool:

Hey,

erhmmmm....i would assume med - it is an ibera

thanks for the info...and i dont have an acre :cool::cool: yet.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.