Sulcatas in Minnesota

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Well, I think I'm about done with my winter enclosure for Shelly and NewGuy. I'm kinda disappointed with the end result simply because of the size. It's honestly the best I can do for this winter until my wife and I can buy a new house next summer when our lease it up on this townhouse. I gave up my parking spot in the garage and built a 4' X 8' enclosure and when we move I'm going to either build a 2nd one like it so they can be split up in the winter, or double the size of the one now, giving them more open space to "kind of roam". I didn't have to use any glue on the walls or frame, just screws so it can come apart quickly for more sections to get attached. Anyways, I've got some pics to get some feedback to see if there's any tweaking I could do, so please be honest I can take it. I already know the size sucks but I'm sure that's something that every owner can complain about unless they own a ranch or something similar. They don't harass each other for now and I think it has to do with Shelly being slightly larger than NewGuy but this current set up definitely isn't going to be a permanent home for the rest of their lives because it is already obviously too small. I've only saw 1 other set of Sulcatas in Minnesota that weren't tiny and it's in a pet store that converted an entire room to their house and there's a few full grown rhinoceros iguanas in with them who will sit on the torts backs to bask closer to the light.
Some of the features in my set up include 1 inch insulation on all 4 walls + a layer in between 2 sheets of plywood on the floor. I bought a garage door insulation kit which makes a noticeable difference as well. After I built it I picked it up and put some bricks under it to lift it off of the cement. I also have tubs of different grasses and such growing off to the side which will provide a little variety compared to the mazuri, grocery store greens and veggies this winter. Inside are 2 MVBs on 12 hour cycles. I incorporated 2 floors to the set up to help as a sight barrier and for their burrow as well. They both use the ramp on the side with no problems at all, I just used some wood glue on some scrap pieces to give them something to grip onto as they climb up. I also have a pig blanket up top and a CHE down below that run 24 hours. I drilled a hole through the side for the cord on the pig blanket so that's safe from getting snagged up or broken. When it gets really cold I have a tarp to place on the top to help hold the heat in as well but it's not needed for now. I'm using orchard grass hay for substrate for them to burrow into and further insulate heat. I also built a door that swings open so it's easy to walk in and clean up after them. One thing I know I need to tweak and I'm still pondering is how I can get a water dish big enough for them to walk in to replace the dog bowl. Maybe I'll tip a trash can lid upside down and just be ready to pull lots of hay out of it all the time.

*not sure why all the pics are displaying sideways, gonna try some stuff

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
My opinion, I like it. Little small, but looks good. Let's see what Tom thinks about it..

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Sorry I'm trying to get it to display right and it says the way it's set up I have to wait 30 minutes to edit it. I'm using my photobucket account instead now, were the pictures displaying right for you?

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Yeah I took them off because when I had attached them through the TF site and clicked on them they were displaying sideways so I removed them and uploading with photobucket but it says the way the admins have it set up you have to wait 30 minutes to edit the post. Check back later and it should be good

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No pictures here either.

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
photo11.jpg

photo16.jpg

photo12.jpg

photo13.jpg

photo14.jpg

photo15.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ah-h-h...there's the pictures!

Looks good. I like that there are two floors. Do they go up by themselves?

I don't like hay for substrate, though. I DO like that you're growing grass for them in the litter trays.

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Yeah they climb up and down the ramp all on their own with no problems.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
A bit small but not bad. The fly streamers are interesting :D Love all the grass you are growing

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
haha yeah I was having a fly problem, but that's being taken care of. It's probably time to put new strips up ;) I'm pissed about the size of the enclosure too but it's seriously the best I could do for now. I'm not sure if I will just add another 8 X 4 of open area for them or build a 2nd one like that to split them up. When I'm done with school (still a few years out though) we are going to move down south so they can go back to being outside all the time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not bad. However, can you use the whole garage or most of it ? I would open the swing door and either let them roam the whole garage, or fence off a portion of it. That way, their house can be their warm up place, but roam the rest of the garage or the fenced off area.

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
No I can't let them roam the garage. What you can't see is the weight lifting set up and all of the crap we couldn't unpack when we moved because we had to move into a smaller house that's hoggin up a lot of space. And the other half is where my wife's gonna park when the snow starts. She's lived in Arkansas her whole life until this summer and isn't looking forward to winter up here very much.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hey, tell your wife she should have the full winter experience. Then buy her a remote starter for her car. Move her out to the street or driveway parking and all is happy. Torts have more room, your wife can get into a warm car. Problem solved:D
Oh, I did forget one thing, she might just toss you to the curve:p :)
Oh well, the torts I am sure will do just fine.

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Good idea Wellington, I'm going to save that idea for when the timing is right. Wish me luck!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Bottom line is that your enclosure, even if a bit small, it a LOT better than a many torts get. They will do fine, and have the future (in the Southern USA) to look forward to. This is a very short blip in their lives.

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Bottom line is that your enclosure, even if a bit small, it a LOT better than a many torts get. They will do fine, and have the future (in the Southern USA) to look forward to. This is a very short blip in their lives.

Agreed

ahhwataday

5 Year Member
Rockville, VA
Nice! Do you have any problems keeping the entire garage warm? When i paint cars I put a planket on the garage door and then plastic (Roll in a box from Lowes) then turn up the heat. But if the temp is fine, no worries. My girlfriends grandparents live there and I couldnt imagine all that snow you guys get

Status
Not open for further replies.