Sulcatas illegal in VA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Someone who said they used to be a manager at a pet store told me they saw sulcatas on a list of animals not allowed in VA. I had suspicions about this before because breeders I found online said they didn't ship here, but I can't find concrete info on the Internet that says if they're allowed in VA, with a permit or whatever. Does anyone here know anything about this? I need to know if I need to keep my tort out of the eyes of the dang law.

TurtleRescueLI

5 Year Member
Linzbragg said:
Someone who said they used to be a manager at a pet store told me they saw sulcatas on a list of animals not allowed in VA. I had suspicions about this before because breeders I found online said they didn't ship here, but I can't find concrete info on the Internet that says if they're allowed in VA, with a permit or whatever. Does anyone here know anything about this? I need to know if I need to keep my tort out of the eyes of the dang law.

I've never heard of such a law, would be news to me. You can find out definitively by calling F&G directly to inquire what their rules are.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/ I think you're safe and don't have to hide your handsome guy from the law!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
If you are not allowed to have sulcata tortoise's in Va, I'm sure I would have had a visit from the authorities by now, Walker is very well known around here, school buses stop everyday so the kids can see if he is out, and we aren't on the regular bus route. I wouldn't worry about it. But if something was to happen, plead not guilty and ask for a jury trial.(just kidding)

EricIvins

5 Year Member
You're asking a really vague question - Are you talking Federal Law, State Law, or Local Ordinances?

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
EricIvins said:
You're asking a really vague question - Are you talking Federal Law, State Law, or Local Ordinances?

I think "allowed in Virginia" is pretty specific. That would be a state law.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have never heard they are illegal there. Now radar detectors on the other hand...

jason g.

5 Year Member
Can't find nothing that says there illegal but I was shocked to see how many sullys get dumped on rescue every year cause people can't care for them once they grow up. Wow I wish I would of known. I would of tried to adopt. Very sad so many people get mislead or just don't care enough to explain the the large amount of care they need. The space they need etc. I was lied to for a sale. Luckily I'm happy to take on the large task. With a smile. :) just makes a person sad to think of all of the torts that are abandoned. I knew from this forum that it was an issue but had no idea that most rescue were at Max capacity. :(:(

NaturalK84

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I have never heard they are illegal there. Now radar detectors on the other hand...

ha!!! my lawyer father had one about 15 years ago. I loved that thing as a kid. wish we could still have them

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Well that's enough to make me feel better! All the laws regarding exotic animals in VA only seem to mention dangerous or endangered ones. Franklin is any thing but dangerous!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
supremelysteve said:
EricIvins said:

I think "allowed in Virginia" is pretty specific. That would be a state law.

Not really, since the OP is being mis-informed to begin with......

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
I agree with this guy... Pet stores are only good for getting what you know you need. I wouldn't trust a pet store employee to sell me a squeeky toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.