Sulcatas and rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

srod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans
Just curious to know how Sulcatas handle the rain?

Do they stand in it? Or do they go inside/seek shelter?

I have a young sulcata and I am looking at making an outdoor enclosure pretty soon. Of course I intend on providing shelter/shade, but since this is my first time around I was wondering how they react to it.

During summer here in south louisiana, it is very hot, very humid, and we have random showers almost daily and all season long. Usually after every rain, its even hotter and more humid than it was before.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
My guys seem to love a nice rain when it is warm they come out of their hides to graze. Then after the rain they play in the mud.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Depends on the temperature. If its warm outside, they enjoy a nice downpour and stand in the rain. If its a cold rain, they'll hide in their burrow.

yazzy1012

5 Year Member
My sulcata Henry loves the rain and is very interested by it. Of course as everyone else stated it depends on the temp as well. If it is cold and rainy he will be inside his shelter, but during monsoon season he usually sits in it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As long as temps are warm it's fine. Whether or not mine go out in the rain seems to be a function of how dry it's been. If they are thirsty and its been really dry for a while, they will come out in the rain. If not, they stay in their dry box. The problem here is we don't have warm rain. It only rains in the winter here, so it's always cold if it's raining. Mine will still come out in the rain, but I have to round them all up and lock them in their box since its too cold.

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
I guess I should of specified that the chances of my sulcata seeing rain will only be during summer months.
Summer here usually begins in May and ends in September.
And when I say summer, I mean temps of 90 degrees and up (usually 100s).
It's really gross when it rains here during the summer. It's almost like a sauna. Humidity is usually 80-100%.
As much as I hate it and what it does to my hair (LOL), it seems like a perfect scenario for a sulcata to grow up in. Lots of heat, nasty humidity, plenty of rain. I just wasn't sure if sulcatas actually liked rain.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been there during those times. Miserable for people and dogs, great for tropical tortoises. It's probably a pretty good simulation of the African rainy season.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
srod said:
I guess I should of specified that the chances of my sulcata seeing rain will only be during summer months.
Summer here usually begins in May and ends in September.
And when I say summer, I mean temps of 90 degrees and up (usually 100s).
It's really gross when it rains here during the summer. It's almost like a sauna. Humidity is usually 80-100%.
As much as I hate it and what it does to my hair (LOL), it seems like a perfect scenario for a sulcata to grow up in. Lots of heat, nasty humidity, plenty of rain. I just wasn't sure if sulcatas actually liked rain.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

sounds exactly like it was when we lived in thailand. except our hottest month was in april. the humidty was awful. it was hot year round, but there was hot/dry season and hot/wet season. lol the lowest temps we had down in the valley in winter was maybe high 70's (november/december). we'd bundle up and think we were freezing. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.