Humidity Effects on Sulcatas

Status
Not open for further replies.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
I live in Southern Louisiana where it is so humid some days it is hard to breathe. It also rains almost everyday in the summer - I believe we get about 14" per annum. The water table is also very shallow - something like less than a foot. (Would that be a problem if he decided to make burrow? OR would he know not to burrow past the water table?)

I would love to leave Percy outside most of the summer - either all day and taking him in at night or even leaving him outside at night. (I haven't figured out where I am going to build his outdoor pen.)

BUT how is the humidity going to affect him? If I make sure he has shelter from the rain can I leave him outside all day while I am at work and trust him to get in the shelter in case of rain?

He is 7" long and I haven't worked the details out but I have a huge yard that would be perfect for him except this question of humidity and rain. It stays about 90-100* during the summer - even at night.

Any advice on how to build this enclosure with a shelter and burrow for him (I saw tortoise island, but it looks like the torts there were bigger than my little guy) plus any advice on the humidity situation would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Some humidity is good for Sulcatas and they really do need some all the time. That's the main reason they dig is to get down to some moisture to cool off. I would think as long as they have a nice dry place that they can bask, it will be ok. You don't want to keep them where it's wet all the time.

Redfootedboxturtles

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have six sulcatas in south west florida. I think Southern Louisiana may even be more humid then here. But mine have always been fine. I have three older ones that where born and raised here.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I use fake rocks, dog houses, anything that you can make sure won't flood if it starts to really rain. Mine go in there hide spots and some even sit out in the rain for a little while(turtles), but I have never had a problem. Maybe even elavating the hide spot a little so it does not flood inside the hide. You could also cover one section with a tarp and that way that area would stay dry. Just make sure you have a secure cover to keep predators out and tort safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.