Sulcatas and greeks tortoises owners from Slovenia

želva

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Slovenia
Hi Eva and welcome! I'm going to write this text in English for other members to understand. I got my male sulcata from a woman from Italy who couldn't care for the tort any more. The female i also got from an Italian guy who import them from Africa (from a breeding centre?) There are many good breeders in Europe that exhibit their animals on fairs. The only bad experience I had with breeders were from East Europe, don't understand me wrong, not all East Europe breeders are bad, but my experience with them are. This year I'm planing to buy another adult pair of sulcatas, maybe from Italy or Germany...
In which species are you interested in?
Greetings from Maribor.

želva

5 Year Member
Slovenia
Hi!
I just wanted to share some new photos with you all :)

Attachments

• 20160520_172502.jpg
    20160520_172502.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 12
  • 20160520_172546.jpg
    20160520_172546.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20160520_172619.jpg
    20160520_172619.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20160403_145147.jpg
    20160403_145147.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 11

FlowerTorts

Slovenia
Waaaw, your tortoises are beautiful. Thank you all for being so nice to the newbie :)
That sounds interesting. I have been searching over the internet to find some really cool breeders and I found some really nice ones. I am just not sure about people who import them from other continents. Haven't really researched all that much about that. If you had a great experience, I will try to look for that. Thank you for your answers.

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan
Hello! I created this account for me and my hubby, as we keep few tortoises and also other reptiles and animals :). We are from Slovenia, it's in Europe, here.
We have three greek tortoises, two were our first tortoises about four years ago. And we got one about few days ago, with really problematic shell and long beak. It seems that shell had some kind of parasites that partially ate her shell. She was in pet store for long time, and according to them, she had parasites on shell about three years ago, that they treated it with some ointment, but shell stayed the same. We will take her to veterinarian who is know how to treat tortoises, but it's really far away so we can't go earlier than next week.

We also have four geochelone sulcatas. One came to us yesterday. We went to get her in Italy. We drove 6 hours there and then another 7 hours back, i'm sure it was quiet stressful for her.
Nala is 55 cm long and have about 31 kg. She is eating fine, but after good bath and scrub we noticed her shell is pretty rubbed off on some places, we also clean it with iodine just in case and put some antibiotic ointment on it. This morning we noticed that on some spots there seems to be small air bubbles under layer of ointment. Does this indicates that there is something wrong with her ?
We also have male Romeo that is about 50 cm and have 18 kg, he is 12 years old according to papers. it's a bit low compared to female, but he gained about 5 kg in last year that we have him.
Then we have two smaller ones, Julia and Ula. Thanks to this forum we started soaking them last summer and success is evident especially in small one who grew quiet a bit since than, and her new growth is flat compared to old one.
All (except the two we didn't have then) were checked last year at vet and have their poop examined, he said they have internal parasites, but that they are very common among tortoises and all got medicine and that was all, after that especially smallest sulcata seem to grow quiet a bit and Romeo gained a lot of weight.
We plan to take all of them to vet again along with greek one with bad shell.

Also during summer they all have outside enclosure with house and some shade to get from sun and we wet them at least once a day. During warmer days, but when nights are still to cold we just get them outside during day. During winter they are inside, all sulcatas except small one and greeks are in open boxes, small sulcata live in terrarium with two basiliscus.

I put some photos in my albums, and i would really appreciate any feedback i can get.

Great pics!! Very cute!
I love the big one that is up close to the camera, what a cheese face! :D

želva

5 Year Member
Slovenia
Hi! Eva, if you are looking for baby tortoises then it is the best for you looking for some breeders and not people who imports them. And always ask for the papers. If you are looking for adult tortoises you can buy them from breeders and also look for some imports. Can you share some pictures of your tortoises?
Here are some new from us. Greetings from Slovenia!

Attachments

• 20160607_173902.jpg
    20160607_173902.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 9
  • 20160607_174106.jpg
    20160607_174106.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 20160607_174138.jpg
    20160607_174138.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 20160607_174032.jpg
    20160607_174032.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 20160205_131115.jpg
    20160205_131115.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 10

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi, Želva and welcome from Texas! Good to have you here! Just noticed date of your original post... 2yrs ago... I haven't even been on TFO that long

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi!
My name is Eva and I, as well, am from Slovenia. I have two tortoises and I am new to this forum. I just saw your post and was so happy that I am not the only one who loves tortoises that much from Slovenia. We are kinda rare here hah.
I have a question for you. Where did you buy your tortoises? I am kinda having a struggle, because the only reliable thing (that I saw) is slo-exo fair, but I would really like to find some cool breeders and expand my family :). I don't mind going to italy or austria or croatia as long as it is really reliable to get a healthy animal.
Thank you for your time!
-E
Hi Eva, my name is Ewa (with a "w") pron like Ava. I was born and raised in Poland, so not too far from you and Želva:) Why don't you start your own thread in introductions section. How fun though that you and Želva have found each other here

želva

5 Year Member
Slovenia
Cześć Ewa! Thank you for the welcoming. You are right Poland is not so far from us, the world is a small place.

FlowerTorts

Slovenia
Here are some pictures of my two torts :) I would love to have a few big ones, approx. around 20 years old, because we are moving to a house with a big garden in October, so they would have a lot of space. But we will see! Thank you for your informations.

Attachments

• IMG_2015.jpg
    IMG_2015.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2022.jpg
    IMG_2022.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2096.jpg
    IMG_2096.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9157.jpg
    IMG_9157.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 5

želva

5 Year Member
Slovenia
You have two very nice tortoises, thanks for sharing :)
If you are planing to buy an adult pair you have to plan an big indoor enclosure first, because they need to be half of the year or more indoor because of our cold weather during the fall, winter and spring.
I'm planing to move my sulcatas out for the summer tomorrow. I build a new house which is isolated and heated for cold nights. Eva, if you have some questions just ask.
Greetings