Sulcatafood.com Seed mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've tried the grazing mix from Sulcatafood.com All of the sulcatas that have tried it, have loved it. It grew pretty fast too.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
FernandoM said:
I've tried the grazing mix from Sulcatafood.com All of the sulcatas that have tried it, have loved it. It grew pretty fast too.

Yep, me too. Mine loves it:).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Elephant grass was one of the types of seeds in my mixture from carolinapetsupply.com. I'm a little sorry that I got that particular seed. It sends up these real long stems when it goes to seed (almost 2' tall). The tortoises don't eat that part of the plant so you have these long stems all over the habitat. You either have to zap them with the Weedeater or get out there with your clippers. The tortoises eat the grass part, but not the seed stem.

Phantom9

5 Year Member
Elverta, CA (Just outside of Sacramento)
emysemys said:
Elephant grass was one of the types of seeds in my mixture from carolinapetsupply.com. I'm a little sorry that I got that particular seed. It sends up these real long stems when it goes to seed (almost 2' tall). The tortoises don't eat that part of the plant so you have these long stems all over the habitat. You either have to zap them with the Weedeater or get out there with your clippers. The tortoises eat the grass part, but not the seed stem.

I just placed my order for the 1lb bag. The list doesnt mention elephant grass though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might have been in a mixture from a different company. I've purchased from turtlestuff and carolina and sulcata something or other. Of all of them, I've been most pleased with carolinapetsupply.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Havent Bought Any Yet, I Plan To Next Month After I Move And Build My New Outdoor Enclosure :)

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I too buy a great deal of seeds from carolinapetsupply and have been happy with it, as the torts eat it up.

sulcatafood

5 Year Member
emysemys said:

We were the first ones to introduce Elephant Grass as a food source for Sulcata tortoises 15 years ago. We worked with the University of Florida agronomy and animal science departments to obtain what we have. Elephant grass does not germinate well from seeds. I can almost guarantee that what you have is not elephant grass. It sounds like it could be sorghum grass (sudan grass) which is not good for tortoises. Elephant grass rarely puts up a flower and when it does, the plants have been growing for over 12 months and are over 6' tall. The dwarf variety grows to about 3-4' and has never put up a flower (even here in Florida). The regular grows to around 8' in one growing season and rarely puts up a flower. Sorghum on the other hand puts up a very large flower/seed head - much as you describe. They will eat the sorghum grass up, but it can cause some serious health issues with it being a substantial part of their diet. Chia is another plant that concerns us because of the high phosphorus content.

Celeste
www.sulcatafood.com

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I planted my enclosure with their grazing mix and it is growing well and my little guys eat it without any problems. I think they make a very good product and would recommend it highly.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Wow, I was just going to purchase the Russian seed mix from CPS. They wanted $15 to ship 1 pound of seed. That's outrageous. Shipping was more then the product. Ordered from Sulcatafood instead. It was $20 for a pound and seems to have free shipping. Much better. :)

sulcatafood

5 Year Member
October said:
Wow, I was just going to purchase the Russian seed mix from CPS. They wanted $15 to ship 1 pound of seed. That's outrageous. Shipping was more then the product. Ordered from Sulcatafood instead. It was $20 for a pound and seems to have free shipping. Much better. :)

We will ship it out to you on Monday via priority mail. Hope your tortoise enjoys! If you have any problems, just email me. You should have a USPS tracking number in your email now for the package.

Celeste
www.sulcatafood.com

franeich

5 Year Member
I ordered from sulcatafood because carolinas shipping was expensive. the seed grew great but my baby tortoise wouldnt eat it. I think it would be better for a older tortoise.

PsychedChicken

5 Year Member
Carrabelle, Fl
Hey!! Since were on the subject does anyone one know about how much of an area a pound of seed will cover?? Just so I can get an idea of how much I need to order.

Thanks!

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
One pound of grass seed can cover something like 325 sqft. So maybe something similar to that number?

Status
Not open for further replies.