Sulcata :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brookeekoorb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore MD
Hello everyone,
It's been a few since I last posted just after I had added 2 Leopards to my home, you guys were AWESOME with info. So now here I am again needing help.

I acquired a Sulcata who was found in New York State walking in the middle of the Street. A couple found him and brought the little one home with them and tried their best with care while trying to find it's owner. A few weeks later I was contacted by a friend who told me about him and I of course made the 4 hour drive to pick up the little one. He was being kept in a 10 gallon fish tank and eating mostly canned green beans.

I took him in until I can could find an experienced home since the care is similar to my Leopards. Mr. Jones is what he's been called, he's about the size of a soft ball maybe a tad bigger. He's as sweet as can be, a little shy with every right he's had a tough couple of weeks. I've only had a him a few days, and he's eating like a pig :) I'm not entirely sure but his shell above his tail just does not look right to me, again not familiar with Sulcatas. He may have the makings of pyramiding, I'm not 100%. But his shell feels great otherwise :)

Pic included is what the previous care giver sent me, I'll take some pics tonight or tomorrow to give you guys a better idea. He's got a cute face!!

I'm located in Baltimore Maryland, and I would really like to find a great experienced home with the space to keep him :) I'm not sure how I feel about shipping since it's getting cold out, but I would be happy to meet anyone within a reasonable driving distance. Please shoot me a message if you maybe interested :) I will hold on to him as long as he needs a home, but I would really like him to go to someone with experience with Sulcatas.

Whew I wrote a book!! Thanks for reading!!

1006001928.jpg

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
welcome to the forum, and thank you for your rescue of this little one.

The shell does look a little nobby, but now with good food (NOT canned green beans!) and loving care - and as Tom says :: Mist them till they drip! he should have some of that shell corrected. Sunlight too... natural of course! He looks strong enough, even with the deformity.

Again, welcome to the forum!

teri

brookeekoorb

5 Year Member
Baltimore MD
Thanks for the support guys :) He has the best face! I'm really falling in love with him so it will be hard to place him, but it's for the little ones best interest so I'll suck it up!

He's been really enjoying soaking and I did manage to give him some out door time, but it's getting cold. I have him set up with lights but it's not quite the same as good ol sunshine ;)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Careful if you have him to long he will be yours :) I took in a larger 15lb Sulcata intending to rehome and now there is no way im giving her up.LOL. He is very cute, I hope someone helps you out. I live in Illinois so don't think it will be me but I wish I could.

brookeekoorb

5 Year Member
Baltimore MD
My husband keeps eying me up and saying "He's staying isn't he?" I have no answer for that lol ;)

I've been caring for him the same as my Leos so it's not putting me out any, he'll be here as long as he needs a home :) and if that just so happens to be forever than so be it, hubby has came to terms with that the moment I heard the little one needed a place to stay.

Mr. Jones is noticeably getting more comfy with us, I'm happy he's eating well. It took him a day or 2 after I got him here to eat anything I was worried. But now he's chowing down, LOVES mazuri and got to join in the fun with pumpkin carving, chomped that down quick :) Trying my best to make a happy tortoise outta him!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I hope he didnt eat any of those white stones before you got him...
He does have pyrimiding.. but nothing that should hurt him..
Good luck with him!

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
I would love to have him. But i live in michigan. I have a 40 pound sulcata right now who is my baby! :) Hope you can find him a great home:)

M

Maggie Cummings

He's really cute and you did well with rescuing him...but it is too cold to ship now so please don't even consider it...

Status
Not open for further replies.