Sulcata?

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Hi, my little sisters friend found this hatchling tortoise and thought it was a gopher tortoise. Just confirming that it's a sulcata. Looks like one to me based off the scute pattern and spikes on the front legs.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20220904_135825612.jpg
    IMG_20220904_135825612.jpg
    774 KB · Views: 12

OliveW

Location (City and/or State)
Branford, FL
In my non-expert opinion, that appears to be a hatchling gopher tortoise. That's what they look like when they're little, although they grow up very differently.

Sulcatas have spikey looking things on their legs. Gopher tortoise hatching looks more like scales on it's legs.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
In my non-expert opinion, that appears to be a hatchling gopher tortoise. That's what they look like when they're little, although they grow up very differently.

Sulcatas have spikey looking things on their legs. Gopher tortoise hatching looks more like scales on it's legs.
It's not a great picture. The spikes do stick out, but it moved it's leg right as I hit the shutter button.

OliveW

Branford, FL
You should wait for the more experienced tortoise folk to chime in. I only know what little gophers look like because I've seen lots of them on my property and looked them up myself, since they look nothing like the adults.

@Tom can you help us out? I'm not sure what a hatchling Sulcata looks like.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Supposedly sulcata has no nochual scute where as the gopher does. This one seems to have no nochual scute.

OliveW

Branford, FL
@omgdoubletacos could you add some additional pictures of that little guy from different angles? Maybe from the top and rear or sides? Just so when the experts get here they have more to go off of. Since it's a holiday weekend, you may have to wait a day or so for an answer. I found this photo about the nuchal scute in the meantime.

259273223_477968680277199_784838416178682008_n.jpg

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
I will work on that tomorrow. It just got done soaking and is now napping. Trying not to handle the baby too much since it's still so young. Plus it's had a big 24 hours. My sister's friend found it yesterday.

But it definitely doesn't have the nuchal scute. I had sulcatas previously and when I saw a picture of it it screamed sulcata to me. 🤣

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, my little sisters friend found this hatchling tortoise and thought it was a gopher tortoise. Just confirming that it's a sulcata. Looks like one to me based off the scute pattern and spikes on the front legs.
Thanks!
That is a young sulcata.

Send this to your freind:

Most people do not understand that they need to be soaked daily and kept warm and humid day and night.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Thats a young sulcata.
That's what I thought! Thank you for confirming. All I can guess is someone in the area had a breeding pair that they either let the eggs incubate in the ground (I'm in southeast Georgia) and missed one when they hatched or had the clutch outside and one got away. They don't sell them this tiny here. You can still see where the yolk sac was. But the umbilical area is closed.

Attachments

• received_409254194650625.jpeg
    received_409254194650625.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 10

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
That is a young sulcata.

Send this to your freind:

Most people do not understand that they need to be soaked daily and kept warm and humid day and night.
The baby is in our care now. Soaked as soon as we got it home and in a temporary set up until I can get a better one figured out since it wasn't a planned thing. Humidity is sitting at just under 60% by the hide. Baking side is just under 90 and cool side is around 80. Also has a UV bulb. I'd like it higher, but currently working with an aquarium with a screen lid.

Any suggestions on a temporary closed chamber until I can get something better?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's what I thought! Thank you for confirming. All I can guess is someone in the area had a breeding pair that they either let the eggs incubate in the ground (I'm in southeast Georgia) and missed one when they hatched or had the clutch outside and one got away. They don't sell them this tiny here. You can still see where the yolk sac was. But the umbilical area is closed.
People sell them that tiny everywhere. Breeders want to move them out ASAP.

Humidity should be 80%+ everywhere all the time. Aluminum foil over the top will hold in heat and humidity, but not be flammable.

What type of UV bulb?

OliveW

Branford, FL
@omgdoubletacos congratulations on your new baby! He sure was a lucky little guy that he ended up with you. He likely didn't have much chance of survival on his own.

I don't even think many of the hatchling gophers here make it, as the birds of prey are much more plentiful. We used to see lots of gopher tortoises on our property years ago, but not so many in the past few years.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
@omgdoubletacos congratulations on your new baby! He sure was a lucky little guy that he ended up with you. He likely didn't have much chance of survival on his own.

I don't even think many of the hatchling gophers here make it, as the birds of prey are much more plentiful. We used to see lots of gopher tortoises on our property years ago, but not so many in the past few years.
Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Pop up portable green houses make nice closed chamber enclosures and you can find them for under 50 bucks and will last longer if you get a good size one. The one pictured is from Lowes and the kind I'm speaking of. Just add tarp for floor.
Lighting and heat can be hung from the frame.
Screenshot_20220905-082109_Chrome.jpg