Sulcata Urine Worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central New York
Hi all!

This could be me over reacting but I'm not sure Dizzy's urine is normal. I have seen it quite well because he seems to enjoy urinating on me! Tonight when he did it the urine dried in seconds and there was like a grainy sand left behind. Also when he goes his belly seems to soften maybe that's just bladder release.

Anyway is this normal? I had though about collecting some next time he pees on me and taking it to the Vet office I work at to do a urinalysis but I'm not sure that is needed.

Any advice would be great.

He is currently 5 months old. He gets daily soaks and has water in his enclosure. I am feeding him spring mix plus he grazes live plants.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Gritty urates usually indicates dehydration, you want it like creamy toothpaste. As for the belly do you mean his belly is hard and then it goes soft when he urinates?

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Central New York
dmmj said:
Gritty urates usually indicates dehydration, you want it like creamy toothpaste. As for the belly do you mean his belly is hard and then it goes soft when he urinates?

It's hard to explain but almost like you can feel him pushing the urine out.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
well if it is a hatchling having a soft shell is not a problem, you only worry when it is hard and then goes soft. If it is a hatchling with a soft shell, I would imagine you could feel it when it goes to urinate.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Gritty is undesirable.....more hydration will be good, perhaps in addition to the daily 20 min warm water soaks, when you offer food you can mist the food until it is entirely wet so when he eats he also takes in the additional water....

By the way...did you remove the perlite from the enclosure? Before you did was any of it consumed? Perhaps if so, I would soak him a couple times a day for a week or so to make sure he stays hydrated and that if any of that perlite was ingested it will be easier to find its way out.... :D

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Central New York
ascott said:
Gritty is undesirable.....more hydration will be good, perhaps in addition to the daily 20 min warm water soaks, when you offer food you can mist the food until it is entirely wet so when he eats he also takes in the additional water....

By the way...did you remove the perlite from the enclosure? Before you did was any of it consumed? Perhaps if so, I would soak him a couple times a day for a week or so to make sure he stays hydrated and that if any of that perlite was ingested it will be easier to find its way out.... :D

I did get the perlite from the enclosure thank you for letting me know about that. I don't think he for any put I am not 100% sure. I will up his soaks and keep an eye out but the perlite is all out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.