Sulcata tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Inglewood, CA
Hello,

So i have been looking into buy a sulcata and I spoke to a breeder to told me that his have the ivory gene. What is the ivory gene?

Thank you all

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
RE: Sulcatta tort

Ivory sulcata's are really light in color. Very gorgeous looking tortoises. DeanS and a couple other forum members have them.

Jedi

5 Year Member
Inglewood, CA

Thank you. I just wanted to make sure there was no weird cross over gene where the tort is in danger.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois

If you are thinking of a sulcata then do lots of research. They grow into huge lovable but destructive monsters:)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA

it will cost you more, but if that is what you want....
or contact a rescue and get one in need....

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.

Id love to have an ivory sully, but prices on them seem to be out of my price range, at least from what I seen on a couple sites. Id say if you can get one then go for it for sure!!!

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona

I think the ivories are so pretty, but definately do your research, I am sure you already have since you are here :)

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada

Ooh that's exciting.
I too have seen quite a price difference in the lighter ones for sale.

I was lucky enough yesterday to transport 6 baby sulcatas to their new home-I have never seen baby sulcatas before-they were adorable and very busy little babies.

Good luck on your decision and we would love to see photos when the time comes:D:D

Louise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Jedi (did we ever learn your name?):

Be sure to ask to see the Ivory sulcatas. Anyone can SAY their tortoise has a particular gene, but how can you prove it without seeing the parents or the Ivory sulcatas. He may be just saying that to charge more for the babies.

There are a lot of sulcata babies for sale. Shop around. Don't get taken.

Jedi

5 Year Member
Inglewood, CA

Name is Elias. I found a "guy" (Says he is a breeder) on craigslist who is selling Ivory sulcata's 4-6 months for $60. I have been doing my research and I should be ready to buy soon. I just have to get my backyard ready by putting bricks down by digable/escape areas. Where I'm going to house them in the yard i'm also going to dig deep and place a hard plastic barrier in the ground and along wall as extra protection kind of like a box. What does everyone think. I dont want to use wood as the barrier because in time in the dirt wood will rot and attract possible termites.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl

i think that hatchlings will need a smaller enclosure with a cover and not be free to roam the yard... they may get snatched up by birds or raccoons n such. mine are 9" and i was told theyre still too small to be safe from birds of prey and raccoons/possums.
But im a bit lucky not to have many raccoons/possums in the area. Plus our birds of prey have alot of water to hunt fish.. i feel that if I lived further inland that there would be more of a risk.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon

Here's a picture of the ivory I have with 2 other Sulcatas that have the ivory gene. If they are true Ivory's, I would buy them all at $60 a piece.

Attachments

• ivycompare.jpg
    ivycompare.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 31

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona

Jedi said:
Name is Elias. I found a "guy" (Says he is a breeder) on craigslist who is selling Ivory sulcata's 4-6 months for $60. I have been doing my research and I should be ready to buy soon. I just have to get my backyard ready by putting bricks down by digable/escape areas. Where I'm going to house them in the yard i'm also going to dig deep and place a hard plastic barrier in the ground and along wall as extra protection kind of like a box. What does everyone think. I dont want to use wood as the barrier because in time in the dirt wood will rot and attract possible termites.

$60 seems very reasonable, I paid the same for Boulder, and he has no ivory gene as far as I know. Keep us posted and make sure to post pics when your baby arrives :D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
You should make sure they are ivory sulcata's $60 seems a bit cheap to me for a true Ivory Sulcata.

I just looked at Richard fife's site and he sells Ivory Sulcata's for $650

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello Jedi. I grew up right near Inglewood. If you prime and paint your wood it will last for many years. Still I prefer to use slumpstone block or cinder blocks. I just find it easier. Small ones usually don't dig much. That probably won't be an issue for a while. Just make sure they have lots of shade available and very shallow water dish. I doubt you'll have any problems with predators down there, but it never hurts to be careful. Local dogs and cats would likely be your biggest threat.

$60 for an Ivory OR an Ivory het sounds WAYYY to good to be true. That's even low for just a regular hatchling sulcata. I see regular ones for $60 at shows sometimes, but the pet stores are still selling them for over $100. Good luck and show us what you get.

P.S. There are lots of good, reutable dealers here on TFO that will sell you a good, well hydrated, properly started, hatchling for about that same money. I'm even close enough that you could avoid shipping and pick one up locally. Do a search and read my thread called "Hatchling Failure Syndrome" BEFORE you buy one anywhere. I would link it for you, but I'm oa friends IPad and I don't know how.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Tom said:
Hello Jedi. I grew up right near Inglewood. If you prime and paint your wood it will last for many years. Still I prefer to use slumpstone block or cinder blocks. I just find it easier. Small ones usually don't dig much. That probably won't be an issue for a while. Just make sure they have lots of shade available and very shallow water dish. I doubt you'll have any problems with predators down there, but it never hurts to be careful. Local dogs and cats would likely be your biggest threat.

$60 for an Ivory OR an Ivory het sounds WAYYY to good to be true. That's even low for just a regular hatchling sulcata. I see regular ones for $60 at shows sometimes, but the pet stores are still selling them for over $100. Good luck and show us what you get.

P.S. There are lots of good, reutable dealers here on TFO that will sell you a good, well hydrated, properly started, hatchling for about that same money. I'm even close enough that you could avoid shipping and pick one up locally. Do a search and read my thread called "Hatchling Failure Syndrome" BEFORE you buy one anywhere. I would link it for you, but I'm oa friends IPad and I don't know how.

We have a lot of breeders in AZ that sell hatchlings for $50 to $60.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
wrmitchell22 said:
Tom said:

We have a lot of breeders in AZ that sell hatchlings for $50 to $60.

Breeders sell regular Sulcata's cheaper, I got Tejas for $50 but I have not seen one in a pet store under $100.

Here we are talking about a Sulcata with a possible Ivory gene and I think that if someone is claiming to have a Sulcata with the Ivory gene for only $60 then you might request to see the parents.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here it is:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hatchling-Failure-Syndrome#axzz1SaNcmR7V

Before buying any baby tortoise any where, from anyone, I would ask the following: What substrate are the babies on? Do they have a water dish? How often are they soaked? Any humidity in the baby enclosure? Do they get sunshine regularly? What are they fed?

The answers to these few question can help you avoid a terrible tragedy or have a great happy experience, depending on what they are.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
That is Very Cheap for Ivories i would Look Into It A Bit More, They usually go for a couple Hundred as Mentioned Above

Status
Not open for further replies.