Sulcata temperatures

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
But the CHE is only for a small part right? The space heater keeps the whole room warm....
77 is too cold, and your thermostat may be at your eye level. If he is on the floor, it is colder down there since heat rises. If your enclosure is enclosed, the heat from the CHE should help heat up most of it, even if he doesn't sleep directly underneath it.

Bee62

Germany
But the CHE is only for a small part right? The space heater keeps the whole room warm....
Yes, when it is so cold in your room the space heater make sense. Sorry for misunderstanding you. You can try to place your tort under the CHE every night when he is still sleeping. Sometimes they must learn where the heat is. After a few days they go by themself to the place where it is warm at night when they know where it is. Torts can learn that.

jnirvello

fort myers, florida
His room is fairly small, I check the temperature on the ceiling and last night it was 81 so of course heat rises. He’s on a table - abour 2 feet up?

Bee62

Germany
His room is fairly small, I check the temperature on the ceiling and last night it was 81 so of course heat rises. He’s on a table - abour 2 feet up?
Check the temp where your tort sleeps and you will know if it is allright.

Bee62

Germany
Okay, at night I’ve been checking him and he’s about 82 in the middle of the night
That is okay. It would be easier to keep the warmth when you could cover your enclosure.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I am new here. My name is Nathan. I need help identifying my baby tortoise which looks like a sulcata. I got it from a friend
Nathan - You have a baby leopard tortoise there. It has been kept way too dry and is already beginning to pyramid. So it is lucky this little tortoise has now got you to take proper care of it. Please start a new thread and introduce yourself, and ask all the questions you have. Lots of help here with tons of Leopard keepers. Please read this as a nice basis for your questions.

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/

Bambam1989

East Texas
But the title says that it is for a sulcata tortoise. Do you mean that they both have the same diet?
Yes. The only difference is that leopard torts usually go for more weeds and less grass. Baby torts eat very little grass unless it is very young and tender.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
But the title says that it is for a sulcata tortoise. Do you mean that they both have the same diet?
TItle says "How to Raise a Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0"

As babies, their diet is very similar. Like BamBam said, more grass for sulcatas. Here is a feeding sheet with all sorts of ideas. This one was written specifically for sulcatas, so use less emphasis on grass for a leopard, but the food list is great for a leopard.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Bixi

Memphis, Tn
I have a sulcata that is 1yr old. I have a ceramic heater for night, a UVB florescent bulb, and also a mercury heat bulb for day time. I run the florescent and the mercury bulb during the day. I run just the ceramic heat element at night. My tort's ceramic heater is aimed just above her main hide (which is made of a limestone slab and other rocks stacked together). This works well because the rocks pick up the heat and hold it really well... so my girl gets a good even distribution of heat during her sleep. The rocks warm up, and when she is in her hide, she doesn't just have a "hot area".

If you can provide a warm hide that isn't dependent on "spot heat" then I think that is best. Go get some rocks from a local supplier and make a full hide that can hold a lot of heat for your tort. The ambient temps being high are better than your tort just having a specific spot that is warm.

Disclaimer: I am not a veteran tort owner. Having a "hot spot" for night time may be perfectly fine. I just feel that having a larger area that is warm (and in a hide) is better than having one specific hot spot for your tort to sleep under. It is very easy to get a few rocks for cheap, turn it into a hide, and then warm that hide with a ceramic element above the rocks. ;)

GL!