Help me sex my sulcata! :)

gg888

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi,
I have a 3-4 year old sulcata named Barnie. We adopted him from his previous owner who no longer wanted him - he's now very loved and very spoilt! His previous owner told us he was a boy, although I don't know how he was so sure (he wasn't an expert). I know he's still pretty young, but he's quite a bit bigger than my father in law's sulcata was at the same age.
Can anybody shed any light for me? I've included pictures (excuse him, he's about to go in the bath!) image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

gg888

England
I know, that's the problem. We've got him on a strict diet now, because I get the feeling that his previous owner didn't understand his need for calcium and UV. I'm just hoping he'll improve over time with the right care! Apart from that he's really healthy, and fast too

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looking female to me, but its too early to say for sure.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Sorry, can't help - am not a tort expert. Am sure one of the experienced members will be able to tell.:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Barnie isn't big enough yet to know for sure. Most tortoises look female as youngsters and this changes as they get near sexual maturity. As of right now, Barnie looks female.