Sulcata rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thru the vet I used to work for, I rescued a Sulcata last week. I wish I had room to take both of them. He couldn't even find the other one. The one I got had its gullar chewed off by dobermans. He has 4 adults and a horse who are allowed to run in the same area as the torts. This area had wire and rusty pieces of metal on the ground. The vegetation was dead. He said she'd been outside all winter with a doghouse and a pig blanket. The doghouse didn't have the window flaps. She's lucky she doesn't have a RI.

She has a skin infection on her tail, and some of her scales on her legs are missing and some have been broken like they were chewed on. Luckily her appetite is OK. She has parasites, so my vet gave me a dose for her weekly for 4 weeks. She is 15# and a 16" shell.

There was no water source where she was, so when I got her home I put her in a soaking bin with warm water. She drank and drank. The next day she urinated a bucket full at the vet's!! That afternoon I soaked her again, & again she drank a lot.

She is still a bit shy but starting to come out of her shell a bit.
Patsy

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Glad she is with you now Patsy. Poor thing sounds like she has been through some pretty rough stuff! It's amazing what they can survive! Good luck.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Congrats on your new rescue. She sounds like she really needed to be rescued and cared for and I am sure she will now have that. Good luck with her.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Congratulations on the rescue, I hope she recovers as fully as possible. I hope the guy finds the other one so someone can get that one out of there. Where are you located??

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jenrell23 said:
Congratulations on the rescue, I hope she recovers as fully as possible. I hope the guy finds the other one so someone can get that one out of there. Where are you located??

I live in Mississippi, about 20 minutes north of the Gulf of Mexico. I have 4.6 acres. Hopefully one day I can have buried fence all around the back 3 acres.

Sandy Sulcata is doing OK. Gave her a huge hibiscus blossom a little while ago. She had red juice dripping from the side of her mouth. Sure wish my camera worked. Her dewormer doesn't seem to have affected her appetite. She loves dandelion greens, and my collard green patch is about 10' from her pen, so I throw some to her every time I go outside. Today was the first time she didn't pull her head back in her shell when I walked up to her pen. Maybe in a couple more weeks she will let me stroke her head.

Wish I was better at being able to tell what kind of weeds I have in my back field. I probably have some good ones but am scared to feed what I don't know.

Patsy

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
spikethebest said:
take some pictures of the weeds...we are pretty good at IDing them for you.

Thanks...I don't have a functioning camera right now!!! First time with no camera since I was in 7th grade! Driving me nuts. Maybe when my tax refund gets here I can get one
Thanks again
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.