Is she acting wierd??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustynail777

5 Year Member
My new tort has me worried a bit. I have had her a week,shes been doing fine outside,but doesnt really seem to like coming out of her hiding spot of her enclosure,unless I have food for her.
If I coax her out shes fine,Even when shes in her hiding spot,during the day shes alert with her head up just watching things.

She has only defacated when I bath her.
Shes drank water,and like I said eaten.
Is she just being shy and cautious? Should I just give her more time to settle in?
It is hot out(phoenix) And she will go under sprinkler sometimes if I put it on.
Thanks

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I am not sure if you have mentioned her size before or not, but if she is little they do tend to hide more because they are afraid of predators. Mine will go in their hides if they are too hot. She is probably needing time to adjust.

rustynail777

5 Year Member
jlyoncc1 said:
I am not sure if you have mentioned her size before or not, but if she is little they do tend to hide more because they are afraid of predators. Mine will go in their hides if they are too hot. She is probably needing time to adjust.
Shes 10" and 8 pounds.
I think she probably just needs time to adjust,but figured I would ask everyone here for their opinion.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
With her being that large, I would think it is just an adjustment issue. Good Luck!

M

Maggie Cummings

Do you know her history? If she was abused it will take her some time to relax around you. While most Sulcata have large personalities some are shy. It's kinda hard but I would hand feed her some treats to help her learn to trust you. But then you run the risk of her possibly being a biter when she gets bigger and she is just biting around trying to get a treat from you.
How do you know she's a female? I'd sure give her some time to adjust to you, then start to worry. But let her relax first...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
She might be too hot. make sure her hide is wet/cooler, in the shade. in the wild, when its hot they would be in thier burrows where is is cooler and moist.
she could be shy as well.. give her time, but make sure she is cool enough.

rustynail777

5 Year Member
Yeh the food by hand thing works everytime,problem is she thinks hand and toes are food,she doesnt bite,but inspects.
I havnt let her try to bite my toes,but she probably would try if given the chance.
Maybe I should just stop all hand feeding now.
I wanted to show her my fliflop wasnt food,when I put it in front of her sideways she rammed it:) Scared me a little,till I realized what she was doing.
I think anything dark in her face is a target if she feals threatened by it.
I can put my whole arm in front of her and she wont ram,but a flip flop??

-Mike

M

Maggie Cummings

I have never hesitated to give Bob a treat from hand. But then I noticed that he bites at my fingers when I have nothing and if I am not paying attention he bites my fingers. He will bite toes with red polish. It hurts very bad when he bites and I know he is not mad, just looking for food. But let's say my 6 yr old granddaughter gets bit by him. She is little with little chicken bone fingers, he could really do some damage to those bony fingers. It has made me afraid to let her go play with him now. I have lectured her about him biting but heck, if I don't remember how can she? So I guess hand feeding just isn't a good thing. Well, time for the race...nite all!!!

rustynail777

5 Year Member
Ok I will just stop hand feeding.
Do both male and females ram things?

Did she just not like the flip flop in front of her?
She is ok with it now,she wont ram it anymore,just walks around it.
Is it basically a get out of my way thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.