Sulcata Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nano

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I just took in a 2 year old Sulcata yesterday, and just had a couple of questions. Right now he is kept in a 30 gallon tank (WAYYYY too small, and will be upgraded today!) and his substrate is a dry dirt of some kind. I have moistened it and am going to go a pick up some sand to mix in. He was fed a mixture of salad and quite a bit of fruit, which I know is bad. I have fed him a proper salad today,w ith some oat grass, and added some timothy hay to his enclosure.

He has some pretty significant pyramding already and want to get him back on track.

My questions are: Should I be soaking him, and if so, how often? Is a humid hide needed for him at this age, or is just a better substrate ok? How often should he be getting the calcium supplement...I am assuming at least 4 times a week as he is still growing (He is about 6" across now).

Any other suggestions, to help prevent any further pyramiding from occuring?

M

Maggie Cummings

You don't measure across, you measure long put a measuring tape against the wall sticking out towards the room and put the tort on it with his face against the wall. That's how you measure.
I would get him on a better substrate asap. Use a rubbermaid tub if you can't get anything better...
To prevent more pyramiding he needs the correct food, NO fruit, exercise, humidity and UVB light...humidity at the substrate level is best.
Soak him everyday for about 15 minutes

here a care sheet to help you out...

http://africantortoise.com/

nano

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks!

I meant to say 6" long, not across!

He is outside in a pen motoring around right now, and munching on the little bit of green grass we have so far :)

I have moved him into a large rubbermaid, until can build something bigger on my next day off. I have a coconut fibre/playsand mixture. I also got him a new UV bulb...who knows how long they had the old one for!

He will no longer be getting fruit, and I will have him eating a proper diet....he doesn't seem too picky, he ate everything in the salad I gave him.

Is there a specific amount of food that I should be giving him for his weight? How often for the calcium?

The people I took him from loved him, but obviously did not know how to care for him properly :( That is why they were looking for a new home for him...plus they said that when they got him they were not told how big he would get....people should do some research before getting an animal that's a lifetime commitment!

Thanks for the link to the caresheet....I did have that one bookmarked already :)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Usually with feeding they say that whatever the tort eats in a 20 minute period. Congrats on your new tort!

Status
Not open for further replies.