prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
northern new york
I know radiated tortoises are expensive like a used car but is there any place or anyone selling them for a reasonable price? I've always wanted one so much but I'm a poor college boy and couldn't afford them at some prices I've seen them for. Reading toms thread makes me want to have one again. Let me know what everyone thinks. -joby

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The cheapest I've seen them for sale is from a breeder in Texas. He usually sells hatchlings in the $800 to $900 range.
If you go for a CBW, you can sometimes get young or hatchlings from well represented studbook pairs on permanent breeding loan (so basicly free :D).

Danny

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
oh boy that would be nice, ive always admired radiated tortoises and i think eventually i will have to aquire one very soon. how does this permanent breeding loan work danny? and i love anything thats free!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
egyptiandan said:
The cheapest I've seen them for sale is from a breeder in Texas. He usually sells hatchlings in the $800 to $900 range.
If you go for a CBW, you can sometimes get young or hatchlings from well represented studbook pairs on permanent breeding loan (so basicly free :D).

Danny

can you explain this "If you go for a CBW, you can sometimes get young or hatchlings from well represented studbook pairs on permanent breeding loan (so basicly free :D). "

were? i would love to look at that

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
"If you go for a CBW, you can sometimes get young or hatchlings from well represented studbook pairs on permanent breeding loan (so basicly free ). "

But that doesn't happen too often. It depends on who you know. I know some people who have been given "free" adults, but they usually do a lot of work with zoos or AZA-accredited institutions.

I attempted to contact the LA zoo to obtain surplus, but they said that surplus can only be given to AZA-accredited institutions. When I was a volunteer for the Phoenix Zoo, I was unable to obtain surplus hatchlings as well.

That being said....you can get baby radiateds from $500-$3000 depending on pattern and "who you know".

Joby, I am a poor college student as well but I worked hard to get my radiateds. With all nice things in life...whether they cost money or not.... most of us have to work hard to get them. Play the lottery or wait until you get your degree and you are raking in more cash. Or move out of NY to a place where the cost of living isn't as high. ;)

Also, you probably won't get approved for a CBW permit if you live in an apartment.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
Haha yeah norm I'm always looking for a good deal on radiated tortoises. Once I get a raise at my job ill be able to purchase one! Ny is expensive which really blows!

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Get your CBW permit first, otherwise you will have to find a radiated tortoise breeder in NY.

If you are still in an apartment, I wouldn't attempt for a permit though. You may end up wasting $200 ($100 initial application fee and $100 for permit which is good for 3 years).

dae

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I know this will be totally irrelevant but just for your info really, we can go to the Hamm reptile show and can get Radiata for around 700 euros for hatchlings. But in the UK the only hatchlings on sale are a whopping 1,900 GB£ each. So your prices seem OK to me!!!

TOTALLY worth the money tho. I love mine and plan on getting lots more.

jankoko

5 Year Member
I write from Italy prejudice here we have the biggest event in the world on the turtles and baby cb radiata 2010 I have paid 500 euro and 700 euro cb 2009 more or less like them to you ..... but I know in Reunion (a French island near Madagascar) are cheap but are assigned only for personal possession in September .... I was in Madagascar and in every backyard had one or more private in this city of Mahajanga in center of Madagascar, and it is not their area

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jankoko:

Welcome to the forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.