Sulcata Poopies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sahdjb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
St. Petersburg, FL
I am a new Sulcata owner, just picked my baby up over the weekend at Repticon, and I am wondering how often he should be pooping. I've been soaking him daily for around 15-20 minutes and yesterday there was a little white looking poop and some cloudiness in the water at the end of the soak, and today nothing...He's pretty active, and eats well - so I am not so much concerned as I am curious...He's my first "land" baby.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice! :)
:tort:

sahdjb

5 Year Member
St. Petersburg, FL
FranklinAndTara said:
the white and cloudy is urine... mine usually poo during their soak... maybe he's a shy pooper ;)

Ok then, I'm not sure he's pooped at all in that case - I've searched his enclosure, and found nothing - but I do hear that they sometimes eat it so....?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Sometimes it blends in with the substrate and the white stuff is called urates you may see it from time to time.

FranklinAndTara

5 Year Member
Satellite Beach, Fl
mine only like to eat dog poo... they leave their own poo alone ;)
give him a day, maybe he's still getting comfortable to new surroundings.

AshleyJones

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I have had my baby for about two weeks now, he did not start pooping in his bath tell about 5 days ago.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Often times they will eat their own poop also.

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
My sully hatchlings seem to only like pooping in warm water. Maybe you should try keeping the water warm, if you aren't already. :)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
If you haven't found any poo chances are the sully has ate it. Keep up the soaks as he should start pooping in there I would think. Have a good day!

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
I agree. Only sometimes does OP poop in the water. Sometimes I find it in the substrate. Most times I find the black/green ring around his mouth.

sahdjb

5 Year Member
St. Petersburg, FL
Thank you everyone!! Just trying to get a handle on what is/isn't normal. He's just the cutest little thing, and I want the best for him! :)

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Boulder poops almost everyday and doesn't seem to care where he is. Sometimes he poops in his soaks, sometimes when he is outside and sometimes in his enclosure. I pick it up as soon as I see it, i don't like poop eaters, lol!

ADVANceNA

5 Year Member
hahahahaha !! all this poop eater stuff makes me laugh. i hate it !!! when i soak einstein in the morning and he doesnt poop, i look at him, shake my finger at him, and tell him NOT to eat it. sure enough, when i come home, he's stomping around .... with the black ring.

also, generally, why do torts like poop ? serious, whenever i take him out on walks, it seems like he has this poop detection system. he almost knows in which direction is the closet pile of bird droppings. i always stop him before he gets to investigate, but still, what is it about droppings they like so much ?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't think they like them per se. most people tend to think that poop eater are usually missing something in their diet. Honestly I don't really know why they eat it. Maybe we are missing out something , maybe they know something that we don't?

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Welcome to the forum and Congrats on your new baby:p This is a wonderful place to find everything you need to know. I have a hatchling sulcata tort named Wilbur. I am thinking of getting him a buddy, but not sure. Anyhoo, welcome to the group.:tort:

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Keep In Mind They Are Shy When It Comes To This When They Are Rehoused!
My Sulcata Only Pees In THE Warm Baths, and Poops Outside In His Outside Enclosure

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I think, like iguanas and some other reptiles, they eat poop for the beneficial bacteria in it. You can imagine with the grasses sulcatas have to eat that it's difficult to digest.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Awesome, I just changed my little guy's substrate today and found all his poopy stashes in the process, he seems to hide his poops...

sahdjb

5 Year Member
St. Petersburg, FL
Weda737 said:
Awesome, I just changed my little guy's substrate today and found all his poopy stashes in the process, he seems to hide his poops...

The first one I found was hidden...then he used his food dish, and tonight his bath! Guess he's feeling comfy!

Status
Not open for further replies.