Sulcata pond

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
i have a 6 year old, 40 lb sulcata who lives outside. He has a heated house, plenty of shade, digs a burrow every summer and has a soaking pond. The pond is approx 8x10 and about 8 inches at the deepest point. We have a pump, filter, waterfall and pond liner. Now for the problem! I can’t keep the pond clean! It stays full of dirt and poop! I scoop the poop out daily but the poop that disintegrates before I get it scooped out gets sucked into the filter and clogs it! I’m wondering if a cement pond would be easier to maintain? Maybe one not so big and no pump or anything, just fill wth water and dirty water could be sprayed out daily! I guess my question would be how thick should concrete be and would it require using rebar? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't have the construction know how to give you specifics on how to do it, but your idea for how to do it right on. EIther the way you are planing or a simple large diameter drain.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
I don't have the construction know how to give you specifics on how to do it, but your idea for how to do it right on. EIther the way you are planing or a simple large diameter drain.
Excuse my ignorance but how would a drain work? No, I know how a drain works but where would the water drain to?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

It might help everyone if you can upload a picture of your current “pond” setup. It’s probably a lot easier to just create a shsllow pool of water that you spray out daily and fill up. I think u are making it much more complicated than it needs to be.

No rebar needed for a shallow, in-ground cement trough. In fact, you could probably just dig a depression and sink a cement mixing trough.

Heres something to give you an example....

682C8921-4005-4055-8654-9C9EBCD03F82.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Excuse my ignorance but how would a drain work? No, I know how a drain works but where would the water drain to?
End of the piping would have to be lower than the pond. Open the drain and water would run downhill and out the end of the drain pipe. Then rinse out the pond, close the drain, and refill.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
This is what I did for mine about the same size and age. Hugo sometimes uses it.

I used three bags of cement. Shower drain, 2" pipe, elbow and a ball valve. Instead of rebar I used a piece of hog fence and lifted it after I poured the cement. It's maybe 3" thick, froze over last winter, and hasn't cracket yet 1 yr old. I just made sure to slope the drain down. I just open the ball valve, drain the water and scrub with a bbq brush spray all the junk out. I just wish I made it much larger and will have to redo it :(
20170701_175024.jpg 20170701_175037.jpg 20170703_192207.jpg

Berm to hold the water for the tree.20170708_195129.jpg

Today almost one year later so much grass!20180622_193531.jpg

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
I thankfully have a slope for the drain but i still built the pond up higher about a foot and backfilled with woodchips so their could be a ramp and grass would grow around it last winter. I didn't re-seed it this spring though since the grass grows so fast and I have so many other things growing on. Lol

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I thankfully have a slope for the drain but i still built the pond up higher about a foot and backfilled with woodchips so their could be a ramp and grass would grow around it last winter. I didn't re-seed it this spring though since the grass grows so fast and I have so many other things growing on. Lol

Nice job on the trough and drain. The garden has really grown in nicely.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
i have a 6 year old, 40 lb sulcata who lives outside. He has a heated house, plenty of shade, digs a burrow every summer and has a soaking pond. The pond is approx 8x10 and about 8 inches at the deepest point. We have a pump, filter, waterfall and pond liner. Now for the problem! I can’t keep the pond clean! It stays full of dirt and poop! I scoop the poop out daily but the poop that disintegrates before I get it scooped out gets sucked into the filter and clogs it! I’m wondering if a cement pond would be easier to maintain? Maybe one not so big and no pump or anything, just fill wth water and dirty water could be sprayed out daily! I guess my question would be how thick should concrete be and would it require using rebar? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have one that big, but the little one I made for my box turtles doesn't have rebar, just a depression in the dirt and lined with Redi-Mix. Then every morning I just sweep it out with the broom and add more water.

The one that used to be in this spot lasted 10 years before it started leaking and needed to be re-done:

box turtle 9-19-15 b.jpg

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I just have a low spot in the tortoise yard and I put the hose in it and turn it I'm to a mud hole a couple times a week they really seem to love the mud and flip it in the backs! Then I turn the hose off and it drys up and I don't have to deal with nasty water.
Works great for me not much of a pond though

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I just have a low spot in the tortoise yard and I put the hose in it and turn it I'm to a mud hole a couple times a week they really seem to love the mud and flip it in the backs! Then I turn the hose off and it drys up and I don't have to deal with nasty water.

But... it works!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Here's another idea, It's a 2x4 frame with pan liner used to hold water.This one measures 54 x 28 inches of pond area. I just dump it out to clean it.simple pond.jpg

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Greetings.

It might help everyone if you can upload a picture of your current “pond” setup. It’s probably a lot easier to just create a shsllow pool of water that you spray out daily and fill up. I think u are making it much more complicated than it needs to be.

No rebar needed for a shallow, in-ground cement trough. In fact, you could probably just dig a depression and sink a cement mixing trough.

Heres something to give you an example....

View attachment 242799
That would be much too small but thanks for your input of shallow pool!

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
End of the piping would have to be lower than the pond. Open the drain and water would run downhill and out the end of the drain pipe. Then rinse out the pond, close the drain, and refill.
Thanks

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
This is what I did for mine about the same size and age. Hugo sometimes uses it.

I used three bags of cement. Shower drain, 2" pipe, elbow and a ball valve. Instead of rebar I used a piece of hog fence and lifted it after I poured the cement. It's maybe 3" thick, froze over last winter, and hasn't cracket yet 1 yr old. I just made sure to slope the drain down. I just open the ball valve, drain the water and scrub with a bbq brush spray all the junk out. I just wish I made it much larger and will have to redo it :(
View attachment 242817 View attachment 242818 View attachment 242819

Berm to hold the water for the tree.View attachment 242820

Today almost one year later so much grass!View attachment 242821
Great, thanks!

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
I don't have one that big, but the little one I made for my box turtles doesn't have rebar, just a depression in the dirt and lined with Redi-Mix. Then every morning I just sweep it out with the broom and add more water.

The one that used to be in this spot lasted 10 years before it started leaking and needed to be re-done:

View attachment 242845
Thanks, I sure miss by little box turtles!

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
Thanks