Garden Pond Outdoor Enclosure Idears???

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello All! I recently found a 145 gallon garden pond in perfect condition free on craigslist. I plan to incorporate the pond in our outdoor enclosure next spring. So in the meantime, I thought I would try to get any advice, suggestions, or idears from those who may of put a garden pond in themselves. I have never done this before, so just a couple simple questions first.....I do plan to have gold fish, no Koi. Any suggestions? Type of pump or filter, etc.?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I put in a 60 gallon preformed pond in my garden. It is not in an area accessible to my russian tortoises or hermann's or box turtles because of the potential for drowning. Something to think about. I know others have use a false bottom to keep their animals safe, but then the pond doesn't support fish.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Torts don't swim very good but if you can afford a lifeguard go ahead :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very Nice ........neat idea and application. I will be looking forward to your posts! ....:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's also called the Skippy Filter. That's the same thing I've done for my 600 gallon snapper pond (cattle trough). Mine runs on a sump pump.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I have used or made just about every filter out there ....finally went to a UV light filtration system along with screen pads.....and the results have been more than pleasing with water clarity and Ph levels. Why I mentioned looking forward to your results. Ok Kathy mention to Jimbo...hot tip * Next time you have water change ( low enough so pipe is exposed) paint it black or green.... Or from the get go .....instead of using PVC ...use ABS . It already comes black - thus more pleasing to the eye without seeing white pipes everywhere and in the pond itself too. Although with time the pipe in the pond should grow algae on it and naturally camouflage it that way . I really like the fact you guys built it ....5*stars...:)

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Wow guys this is awesome! Keep the info coming. Kathyth thank you for the pictures, most helpful.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I have used or made just about every filter out there ....finally went to a UV light filtration system along with screen pads.....and the results have been more than pleasing with water clarity and Ph levels. Why I mentioned looking forward to your results. Ok Kathy mention to Jimbo...hot tip * Next time you have water change ( low enough so pipe is exposed) paint it black or green.... Or from the get go .....instead of using PVC ...use ABS . It already comes black - thus more pleasing to the eye without seeing white pipes everywhere and in the pond itself too. Although with time the pipe in the pond should grow algae on it and naturally camouflage it that way . I really like the fact you guys built it ....5*stars...:)

Great idea! Thanks Jeff! Jimbo has been " informed" :eek::p

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It doesn't take up that much room . You can build a planter box line it with pond liner and bam new pond .

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Well, guys it was a balmy 78 degrees here in Ohio yesterday, so I thought I would start prepping for the new addition of the enclosure and the pond. I was pounding a 4x4 stake in the ground with a 3 lb. sledge hammer when an asian beetle distracted me and i completely smashed my middle finger and ring finger:( A visit to the er left me with 2 broken fingers, a blown out tip of the finger requiring 3 stitches to put the meat and potatoes back in(finger fatty tissue), and 1 bruised ego lol!Those darn Asian beetles! Couldn't of been the operator:) So it looks like I will be spending even more time game planning. Thanks again everyone.