Sulcata POKEY

Status
Not open for further replies.

boledo

5 Year Member
I'm a newbie to the site, although we have raised our Sulcata from a hatchling. Pokey was 10 last October (she was Alex's much-wished for gift on his 9th birthday), and is very happy in her backyard habitat here in Arizona. We have a very large yard, with everything to make her happy: sunshine, shade, grass, dirt, etc. We also get flood irrigation every few weeks (she has plenty of room that does not flood) and when it's bumping 115 she loves to go for a swim! Would love to post some pix of her, so here goes.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Pokey swimming0011.JPG
    Pokey swimming0011.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 109

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi boledo:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

You've done a nice job with your sulcata. He looks pretty darned good. I love the tire swing in the shape of a horse! Someone was pretty imaginative to think of that design.

What would you like us to call you?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I agree he looks good, and I am sure he enjoys his pond. Have you tried to recreate that second photo with the larger tortoise? :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum..

You do have a very nice looking sulcata....

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Welcome! You have a beauty! I love that first pic in the water...those flowers look tasty ;)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi Bobbi,
Welcome. Glad that you made it! So glad that you posted a pic of Alex with Pokey baby. It was fun to see. (S)he is just the coolest tortoise.

boledo

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi boledo:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

You've done a nice job with your sulcata. He looks pretty darned good. I love the tire swing in the shape of a horse! Someone was pretty imaginative to think of that design.

What would you like us to call you?

My name is Bobbi, but boledo is also fine. The tire swing was a gift from my brother for my kids. They've outgrown it, so it's now on extended loan to a friend with a little one until I need it back (in the future!) for grandkids.

:) Bobbi

boledo

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
I agree he looks good, and I am sure he enjoys his pond. Have you tried to recreate that second photo with the larger tortoise? :)

Have I tried? Not in a LONG time! She's weighs a tad more now.... Let me see if I can find the picture of her as Mama to one of her hatchlings. And keep in mind this was in 2010.

Attachments

• Pokey and 1st offspring.jpg
    Pokey and 1st offspring.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 36

boledo

5 Year Member
DesertGrandma said:
Hi Bobbi,
Welcome. Glad that you made it! So glad that you posted a pic of Alex with Pokey baby. It was fun to see. (S)he is just the coolest tortoise.

Looks like a great site - thanks for introducing me! Now I'll look for some of your earlier posts (and pix!) :) Bobbi

boledo

5 Year Member
ShadowRancher said:
Welcome! You have a beauty! I love that first pic in the water...those flowers look tasty ;)

Those are passion flowers that grow on a vine along one of our fences. The first time they bloomed I thought they were (ugly!) plastic flowers from K-Mart that someone had stuck in our fence... but Pokey obviously loves them. Bobbi

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
boledo said:
Where can I find all the pix your posted? :) Bobbi

When you click on someone's user name you can see everything they have posted, including pics. But there is also a topic for tortoise photos under the "tortoise forum" main heading at the top of the page for general photos of all tortoises.

boledo

5 Year Member
DesertGrandma said:
boledo said:
Where can I find all the pix your posted? :) Bobbi

When you click on someone's user name you can see everything they have posted, including pics. But there is also a topic for tortoise photos under the "tortoise forum" main heading at the top of the page for general photos of all tortoises.

I already did that, and it only took me to one post (without pix)

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
welcome to the forum!!..I vote that first pic to be in next years calender!!! it's awesome!!

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
jojodesca said:
welcome to the forum!!..I vote that first pic to be in next years calender!!! it's awesome!!

Seconded!

boledo said:
ShadowRancher said:

Those are passion flowers that grow on a vine along one of our fences. The first time they bloomed I thought they were (ugly!) plastic flowers from K-Mart that someone had stuck in our fence... but Pokey obviously loves them. Bobbi

Haha I thought they were! We got some vines one year on our compost heap after we had eaten passion fruits...I called them African man-eating flowers until we figured out what they were, they look like something dangerous you would find in the Congo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.