Sulcata passed today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central FL
I'm so sad...I went out for the evening tortoise check and found little Elvis had passed today. He looked to be in his sleeping position, but did not move when I tried to rouse him. I can't imagine what happened. He had a great time of growth over the last month, was eating well in his new enclosure. He had a cuttle bone, all sorts of fresh plants (grass, clover, hibiscus, cactus, no fruit, some collards this week). The temps have been high in FL, the humidity has been high, and we have had some rain recently. He has a shelter.

I have been racking my brain like all pet owners do when they lose an animal. Did he choke? Was the water contaminated from heat? Did he eat a mushroom? Was the collard contaminated?

I'm going to Daytona this weekend, maybe I'll try with my own hatchling. My 15yo daughter was his next owner in line after me. She cried. :( Here was the last thread about him: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Sulcata-shell-growth#axzz1UxNAOkVB

Actually, I'm wondering if we should get another Sulcata or try for another species that would work better with our subtropical environment. We're sort of partial to Sullies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am so sorry *hugs* Question, did his shell get firmer in the last month?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's just so sad!

If you're going to get another, and this was your first tortoise, I'd try to find one a little older. Babies can be pretty hard to keep alive when its your first tortoise.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
His shell didn't get a lot firmer, no. It didn't get any softer, either. It was smoothing out from when he came to us and had a nice symmetrical look to him. He seemed to be doing so well and thriving outside. Maybe he just had underlying problems and we were too late.

I thought about getting an older tortoise, but I'm afraid of inheriting someone else's problem, if you know what I mean. I'm not opposed to an older tort that is not too expensive. We have taken in quite a few "rescue" snakes and lizards over the years, but are new to land turtles.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Roxie,
I am so sorry to hear about little Elvis. My heart goes out to you and your daughter.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I am sooo sorry to hear your bad news!! I almost had something bad happen Friday. My thoughts r with u. :(

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
About the shell...he had actually gown a bit more since my last post.

Thanks for the well-wishes, they are very appreciated.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm hoping for better results with what ever tort you do decide on.

<<hugs>>>

teri

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I am terribly sorry for your loss! R.I.P. Elvis.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
So sorry for both of you. Sounds like you gave him a great life while you had him, and did the best you could.

Sounds like you may be thinking about a new tort, and not sure where you live, but there are so many Sulcatas that need adoption, see-
http://www.turtlerescues.com/ Go to 'adoptions'.
They are getting a lot of Sulcatas that need homes.
Once they adopt out a tortoise, they have made sure it is healthy.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
A few weeks ago I lost my Ornate, so I know just how sad you are feeling. I'm very sorry for this loss.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry for your loss.

I'm happy that you are willing to try again. Sulcatas are my favorite too. However, I'd really like to help you figure out what went wrong so that it doesn't happen again.

Here are some thoughts in no particular order.
1. Way too much fruit. Its not good for them. Skip it next time. Substitute it with weeds and leafy greens. Mulberry and hibiscus leaves. Rose petals, opuntia cactus, fresh grass, etc...

2. They need calcium supplementation. Especially if they are the least bit soft. My six week old hatchlings feel like hard, thick plastic on the plastron. By 6-8 months the are hard as plywood with hardly any give. Yours definitely had something wrong if it was still soft at 6-8 months. The faster they grow the more calcium they need. It is my belief, with help from Yvonne and others, that the giant species really do need more calcium than some of the smaller species. Sulcatas can go from 35 grams at hatching to 45,359 grams in ten years. That is a lot of calcium to lay down.

3. How often did you soak?

4. It is possible that some sort of toxic weed sprouted in the outdoor pen with out you knowing it. Can you positively ID EVERY single weed in the enclosure.

5. Heat is a very real possibility too. Wait for a hot sunny day (not much of a wait, I know) and measure temps inside the hides and shady areas. A simple hide in the sun can get well over 100 degrees. In heat like yours, and mine (CA desert), they really need to get underground to escape the heat of the day. I don't put my young torts out when it get over the high 90's. It can be done in a properly designed and monitored enclosure. Can we get some pics of your outdoor enclosure? Maybe we'll see something that you've missed.

I normally wouldn't jump in to this so soon, but you mentioned getting a new one next weekend. No time to waste in solving this mystery.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
1. Yes, I cut out the fruit completely after my last posting.

2. He was receiving calcium supplementation while inside and then had access to a cuttlebone in the last month which had obviously been eaten and I had seen little white lips. I do think the softness of the shell signified an issue, whether it was with us or before he came to us.

3. In the beginning (winter) I soaked him daily. In the spring I soaked him 4-5 days weekly. After he went outside, I soaked him only once or twice weekly. However, I sprinkled/showered on the days it did not rain. The humidity has been quite high (over 70%). When I did soak him, he didn't drink or defecate in the water. He did defecate in his enclosure, however. He seemed to be sufficiently hydrated so I reduced the soaking in a tub.

4. I really don't think it would be in the enclosure. The enclosure was leveled and then planted with bahia, clover, spider plants, an aloe, and dandelion. The only thing newly introduced was a mushroom and some bagged collard.

5. I thought of heat. However, this wasn't our hottest day. Today was a high of 95 with an average 91, humidity 84%. Nice, eh? The pen faces east and gets sun from 8am or so until about noon-1pm. But there are shaded spots along the fencing and "fallen trees" in the pen, and there are large oak branches to provide shade, even at noon. So when the pen gets the most sun, it is 80-90 degrees. When the heat of the day builds up around 3-5pm, the enclosure is pretty shady with some sun spots.

I'm not trying to sound like I have an answer for all of your questions, I'm just thinking out loud and bouncing ideas around on the forum for help and advice. If I don't feel comfortable getting a new guy this weekend, then I won't rush into it.

And lynnedit, I've been looking around for a tortoise rescue for a quite a while. Thanks for the link. I'd be quite happy to adopt a homeless tort before supporting more captive breeding.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry to hear about the little guy, if you decide to get another try and find one at least a year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.