sulcata owners in Sacramento, ca?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torti

5 Year Member
Wondering if there is any sulcata owners in Sacramento, CA? I realize in the pet stores around here there are a lot of sulcatas being sold. But I rarely hear of anyone who owns one. Everyone thinks I'm crazy that my tiny little tortoise will grow to be huge one day LOL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
We have quite a few Sacramento members, but the only Sulcata-keeper I can think of off the top of my head is Laura. She's in the foothills above Sacramento and has three that she rescued. Look up her previous threads and you can see pictures of her barn and tortoise.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
thanks yvonne... I have 4,, all rescue..there is a family in Rocklin that keeps them as well.
people are surprised when they find out thier neigbors have torts.. they dont take them for walks, they dont bark.. so they are kept 'secret'.
I also think that many of those babies sold in pet stores.. dont survive to adult hood. We see it on here all the time. Hatchlings are Heartbreakers.
There is also the Sacramento Turlte and Tortoise club.. Felice is not a fan of Sulcata...She thinks Im crazy.. :)2 of the ones i have, I got thru the grapevine, thru her. The two big guys, were a forclosure issue and they broke out of the yard, and were taken to a shelter.. where.. they had NO clue how to house them.. had russians in with them, cuz they were the 'babies', and a redfoot. In a concrete dog kennel, no heat, and fed them fruit. The owner claimed the RF and RT but couldnot take the Sulcatas back. So I took them home.. and treated them for URI for 2 weeks with Baytril tablets.

torti

5 Year Member
I agree with you. Most babies don't live to see that day. I had a baby that left me due to poor husbandry, I was told by the pet store to keep him dry. When I found out they were wrong it was too late. My little one now is healthy and thriving, cause I found toms thread on how to raise hatchlings.

I live in elk grove and I got my baby sulcatas from the serpentarium. I don't know if you ever heard of them. I still go in there once in a while to check out how their big ones are doing and they always have tons of little ones.

I'm so thankful for people like you who are willing to take in so many of these gentle giants. Unfortunately I only have a yard big enough for one. My family thought I was crazy when I got mines. They think that its going to start snapping off fingers once big LOL. Glad to know there are so many owners close by. Now I know who to go to. Also what herp vet do you go to. I can't find any =(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Torti:

Did you ever tell us your name?

Exotics Service Veterinarians
UC Davis Small Animal Hospital
Davis, CA 95616
Tel: (530) 752-1393
Tel: (530) 752-0186 emergency

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
I'm here too! Thanks Laura for remembering me if I'm who you were thinking of. And Torti -you're right about people thinking you're crazy about keeping a tortoise that will get so big. People just can't understand why I would want a tortoise that big instead of say a dog that I could cuddle. They don't understand that the Sulcatas have personalities too. Plus, for me there is something so calming about being out with mine.

And the Serpentarium...the one in Elk Grove...when I saw how they were keeping their juvenile Sulcatas, I had to school them a little bit. They really didn't have much to say about how they were keeping them. Though they have a more decent enclosure for the babies, it still leaves a lot to be desired.

torti

5 Year Member
Haha that's right I get the "what do you do with them, and what do they do beside just sit there?" a lot. They suggest a dog would be better. I also own dogs they are great too, I never thought I would fall in love with a tortoise either. But they just give me that calming feeling. My family thinks I'm crazy sitting in front of his tank and just watch him eat. I guess I can say the same to fish owners right? Haha

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
I'm in Vacaville, and I have two babies. about 5 months each. One I got at 2 weeks, and he is doing great and growing healthily, and the other is the same age and was bought from the Sac Reptile show at 4 months, still looking TINY and the owner didn't take care of her very well, so I bought her from him. (A bearded dragon breeder in Vacaville) now she's getting healthy with me. I love keeping tortoises, and hope that one day I'll be able to have a few acres, and dedicate a large area for my Sullies, and possibly get an Aldabra as well. They are just beautiful, amazing animals.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
torti said:
Wondering if there is any sulcata owners in Sacramento, CA? I realize in the pet stores around here there are a lot of sulcatas being sold. But I rarely hear of anyone who owns one. Everyone thinks I'm crazy that my tiny little tortoise will grow to be huge one day LOL

I'm from San Joaquin county and purchased one from Tracy at a breeder/petstore and same thing...bad husbandry and looked like maybe he had pneumonia or RI so I refunded him yesterday and getting 2 hatchlings coming in this wednesday. I Can't wait and very impatient but will upload pics when I get them =) I don't see much people around me except yvonne maybe being the closest or maybe folks from Sacramento actually. I roughly have 1500 sq ft backyard for the torts when they grow bigger but right now it's just dirt/grass/weeds so in a few years hopefully I can landscape the backyard specially handmade for the torts...can't wait till that day. Will post pics soon when I get them and their enclosure. I had a sterlite bin but bought a 25 gallon aquarium until they get bigger then will switch over to the bin. The bin might be a bit too big for them but I am growing tortoise seed mix for them indoors and it sprouted 2 days after planting, GOOD seed mix! =)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Hi, I am also in elk grove. Nice to meet you. I have had my Russians for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.