Sulcata outdoor uv

BRYAN L STATES

Location (City and/or State)
King George, VA
I live in Virginia so it's obviously too cold right now for a 3 month old but for short periods to get some sunlight, is it harmful to the tortoise? I'm a big fan of everything natural, even enjoying getting my big snakes in the yard when warm enough.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Bryan

With today only reaching about 40° in King George and a UV index of only 1, the value of taking your tortoise outside is very little and with the temperature, probably dangerous. A small tortoise has very little thermal mass and will cool very quickly. A young sulcata needs to STAY above 80°f.

I would invest in a fluorescent UVB tube and put it in the enclosure. Not only the UVB, but the better light quality will benefit your tortoise greatly.

BRYAN L STATES

King George, VA
Little value is what I need! Thanks! I have a basking lamp at 100 degrees on some flat stones and uvb tube for the little tike since it seemed more likely to get the uv required over the distance of the enclosure versus the one basking area since this one seems to sleep a bit away from that area a lot. After reviewing Tom's posts, I realize how much I should have looked into an enclosed chamber but for now I think I'll close up the front side with some plexi I already have in the garage to keep the humidity more stable. Thanks again.

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
If your tort even begins to act a little sluggish I would immediately move it in to an enclosed chamber. The difference in a torts well being has been phenomenally better this way in my experience.