Sulcata or Russian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Family

5 Year Member
Hello everybody,
My family has had a tortoise for about 8 years. Were not quite sure what kind he is. I think he is a Sulcata but he might be a Russian. He is about 10 to 12 inches long. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1293513105504.jpg
    1293513105504.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 154
M

Maggie Cummings

If he's a Sulcata he should weigh about 35 pounds. The picture is kinda dark, he's definitely not a Russian. I'd go for Calif desert tortoise or Sulcata...but if he's a Sulcata he's small for his age and if CDT he's right on. Can you post a picture that's not so dark? His legs look like CDT not Sulcata. If he was a Sulcata they'd have spikes on them not scales. I need a lighter picture...welcome to the forum. I guess he's been living in your yard all this time?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
Well, he is NOT a Sulcata, you would know by now if he was, he would be HUGE. Hmmm, he doesn't look like a Russian either. I am sure someone will be along shortly to help you ID him. I agree with Maggie maybe a CDT. Sorry, I'm not much help!

Where are you located?

:D Welcome to TFO :D

T Family

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
If he's a Sulcata he should weigh about 35 pounds. The picture is kinda dark, he's definitely not a Russian. I'd go for Calif desert tortoise or Sulcata...but if he's a Sulcata he's small for his age and if CDT he's right on. Can you post a picture that's not so dark? His legs look like CDT not Sulcata. If he was a Sulcata they'd have spikes on them not scales. I need a lighter picture...welcome to the forum. I guess he's been living in your yard all this time?

We are in Az. I appreciate everyones info. he was given to my girlfriend when he was a baby along with another one that dissapeared from the back yard right after we got them.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
CDT!!!!

I love these identifying threads. They are my favorite! I feel like I've won a gameshow when I get it right.

Question: do sulcatas normally have nuchal scutes?
-just checked some google pictures of sulcatas and it doesn't look like they normally do. That was the first thing that made me commit to this guy being a CDT.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
CDT...no ifs, ands or buts!

M

Maggie Cummings

So does that mean I win because I said it first and the rest of you just copied me???

I won, I won...it was me first...hahaha...you all copied ME!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
maggie3fan said:
So does that mean I win because I said it first and the rest of you just copied me???

Sadly for the rest of us, Yes, yes it technicaly does. Isn't it a great feeling when you think of it like a competition! You know that it's game over once Danny makes his id though, so you've gotta hurry and get you guess in fast.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
maggie3fan said:

Actually , you were pretty indecisive. You said it was most likely a CDT, but could be a sulcata. I was the 1st to say it was a CDT without a doubt...so I win :p

Technicalities .... lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi T Family:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name?

Your tortoise is a Gopherus agassizii, or more commonly called desert tortoise. They are restricted by state regulation and can't be bought or sold. I'm not familiar with Arizona's laws, but here in California, you can have as many as you want, but you have to get a permit to have them. Our state regulatory agency is called the Department of Fish and Game.

I must admit, for not knowing what kind of tortoise you've been taking care of for the past 8 years, the tortoise looks in very good shape.

T Family

5 Year Member
My name is Joe amd my girlfriend of 11 years is Mileika. we have 5 boys, 3 of them our our own. we have had Henry or now known desert tortoise for about 8 years. We have read alot about tortoises for the last 8 years and at times I suspected he might be a desert tortoise. I bought the family 2 baby sulcatas for Christmas. I know they get very big. we have a huge back yard and alot of grass. Thank you everyone for your answers. Now Iam worried we might get in trouble. I know you can adopt the desert tortoise in Az but he was given to my girlfriend by a member of her old church. What now? Hes a part of the family.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Try contacting your local tortoise club or the Fish and Game dept, they usually have someone that has permits ready. I don't know Az rules, but here in California they have to be "Gifted". You shouldn't get into trouble, but I would get the permit so you have nothing to worry about! It's also a good form of identification should Henry get lost or stolen. Take a picture of the permit and Henry for your records. Do you know if Henry is really a boy? My neighbor Lisa thought her CDT was a girl and found out later she is a he!!

Congrats on the new babies!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like you can have one desert tortoise per household in Arizona. I didn't read the whole thing, but you probably have to apply for a permit. Don't worry, since you've had it for 8 years they're not going to take it away from you.

http://www.deserttortoise.org/answeringquestions/chapter2-1.html

When your sulcatas get big enough to put outside, please make a separate area away from the desert tortoise. Its not good to mix species from different continents. They may get sick and even die.

This one is the official Arizona site:

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/deserttortoisemanagement.shtml

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I win! I guessed before looking at anyones answers!
Welcome..
READ about sulcatas.. and ask a lot of questions.. good advice already.. seperate yards..
they shouldnt live together..

Status
Not open for further replies.