Help!-species question

Russian torts rock

Location (City and/or State)
IL
Hi, I have two Russian tortoises, I am possibly given the opportunity to have a sulcata tortoise for a few years. The sulcata is a female (I think) and is about 7-8 inches long. I would be able to keep her until she gets too big so probably maybe 1.5 years. Then I would have to re-home her. However I don't want to make a new enclosure just for her. I was wondering if I could put her in with my Russians. Would that work or is that a big no-no? Thanks just trying to figure this out.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
BIG no no! Each species carries pathogens that could make the other species sick or dead. Russians and Sulcata are not even from the same continent
Also if you cannot provide a healthy escape proof very sunny enclosure for the Sulcata don't do it. Why make another being neurotic and sick with separation anxiety? Animals need a secure place to live... a forever home, not a transient room in a hotel...(sorta)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Absolutely Not. A million threads on this forum not only about not keeping tortoises in pairs but about not mixing species.
A little searching on the forum will find you all the reasons it's such a bad idea.

Russian torts rock

IL
BIG no no! Each species carries pathogens that could make the other species sick or dead. Russians and Sulcata are not even from the same continent
Also if you cannot provide a healthy escape proof very sunny enclosure for the Sulcata don't do it. Why make another being neurotic and sick with separation anxiety? Animals need a secure place to live... a forever home, not a transient room in a hotel...(sorta)
Ok thanks that clears things up. :) I will not foster her then