Sulcata not growing

jags8307

Location (City and/or State)
League City, Texas
I have had my sulcata since March-2014. He is the same size as when I bought him. I have the proper lighting/heating. He is fed twice a day, gets calcium/multi vitamins and spends half his day in and outdoor enclosure (he's still the size of my palm). Any suggestions on what it can be? The lighting has heating and UVB in one. Maybe that is it?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I have had my sulcata since March-2014. He is the same size as when I bought him. I have the proper lighting/heating. He is fed twice a day, gets calcium/multi vitamins and spends half his day in and outdoor enclosure (he's still the size of my palm). Any suggestions on what it can be? The lighting has heating and UVB in one. Maybe that is it?

Are you keeping him humid? Recommended humidity is 80% for a little one. Here is a care sheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Also, is your bulb one of these coil types:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00101GDIG/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

If so, I would highly recommend you replace with:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
It is heat & uv all in one too but the coil ones have been linked to eye damage & other health issues.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It doesn't do us any good when someone asks help then says, "...the proper lighting/heating..." What you THINK is proper, might really not be what we recommend. So we'll need to know temperatures, brand of light, maybe even see a picture of the habitat.

jags8307

League City, Texas
I battle humidity in the indoor enclosure. I live near the coast in Texas. That is why I was moving him more outdoors. Lately tho it's been raining a lot so he spends more time indoors. The lighting is the one you pointed out on Amazon not the coil.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I battle humidity in the indoor enclosure. I live near the coast in Texas. That is why I was moving him more outdoors. Lately tho it's been raining a lot so he spends more time indoors. The lighting is the one you pointed out on Amazon not the coil.

could you post a pic of your enclosure for us?
I followed that care guide really close & my 14 month old is huge so I can tell you personally that info there is correct.

jags8307

League City, Texas
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412627237.208830.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412627248.980732.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412627268.005028.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412627286.377325.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412627302.518473.jpg
I've included indoor/outdoor. Temps are around 100 and humidity while inside varies between 20-60%. Low in the morning but after I water down the enclosure it jumps up. The light is by ZooMed. Not the coil. It's both heat/UV. My little guy is also VERY picky. He mainly eats the organic spring mix. I have tried prickly pear who he likes and dandelion greens. It's a hit or miss with him. He gets grass when we let him graze in our yard under our supervision. What else am I doing wrong? We have taken him to get and he told us he is still a little small but his overall health looked ok. I still think he should be bigger in size. The pics in his tank where taken when we got him earlier this yr. The ones in pool were taken a month ago. How fast should he be growing in about a 6 or so month time period? Maybe I'm expecting too much.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Sometimes I don't really notice mine growing until someone else points it out. But that's also why I check their weight weekly. It helps keep track of their health.

— Gus

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

Alaskamike

South Florida
I do know mine tend to grow in spurts. Weight is probably a better indicator than shell length at that age. I use a kitchen digital scale from Walmart. Gives me weight in grams.
If you weigh him weekly with that , you will know if he's growing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where did you get this baby? How was it started? Wet or dry routine? What is the current weight? What are you using for night heat?

So far I don't see anything you are doing "wrong". I prefer to not leave babies outside for more than an hour or two because they don't do as well that way and it makes them grow much slower, but its not wrong.

The current weight and early history will probably answer this question for us.

jags8307

League City, Texas
I've never weighed him. I think the vet did but I didn't ask him what it was. I got him from a reputable exotic pet store. I traveled a distance because I heard really good this about this place. I'm not really sure about his climate before. All these questions are making me think am not doing a very good job with him! I know I was also a little concerned that he only comes out of hiding both indoor and out to eat. Is that normal too?

jags8307

League City, Texas
Oh and as far as night heat I turn everything off. I keep my house at a constant 76. His temp in enclosure shows that same temp as well.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hiding for a baby is normal. You are doing a good job just by asking these questions. He's in a glass tank and some times that makes them a lil bit insecure. Ever thought of building him a bigger enclosure that's more privat? The right one would fix some of your issues. Search on here for enclosed chambers.
At the least I would add plants. You can dig some weeds out of your yard. Add more humidity. Your tank does look dry. You can do this with what you have by adding some coco core to thicken up you bedding
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010OSIHW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Cover the top to hold heat and humidity in- foil works so does a foam sheet of isulation board.
Bump up heat- 76 is too cold if you add humidity- damp and cold will get you a sick tort. You can do this by getting a che for night heat
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQCPK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
A cheap kitchen scale to track weight and you are good to go :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Also, just cause I can't help it...put a flat rock under basking area, it will help him warm up. And if you really want to do a quick fix tape newspaper or anything along the outside bottom of your tank so he can't see out. Helps them feel safer.

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
What are your temperatures on the basking spot, cool side and night time temperatures.
Temperatures will play an important role in how much they eat and grow.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pet Stores are typically fountains of misinformation. They also buy their tortoises from backyard breeders, and most back yard breeders don't start their babies correctly. They are still under the mistaken impression that sulcatas are a desert species and need arid desiccating conditions.

Don't beat yourself up. Nobody is born knowing this stuff. Your enclosure is not the worst I've seen but there is certainly room for improvement. We will help you. Right off the bat I can see you need thicker substrate, more moisture in your substrate, a larger enclosure, a humid hide, a covered top and some night heat controlled by a thermostat.

Start with this one to explain why not to buy from a pet store or breeders that start them too dry:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Then read this one for how it should be done:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

And this one for some common errors:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

This one for feeding a sulcata:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Weighing your young tortoise weekly is a good way to keep track of their health and make sure everything is on track. You can get a digital kitchen scale at Walmart or Target for about $25.

M

Maggie Cummings

I got a really good scale at Bed Bath and Beyond for $15 or so. It looks too dry in there for me. He needs a better hide to sleep in. Yes, I see that he fits in there, but there's no 'security' for him. Get a half log, or I make hides out of wood and bricks...Put some stuff in there for him, rocks, branches, stuff to walk over or hide behind. Try some plants. I would use a black light bulb at night or a 100 watt CHE. The black bulbs are 60 watts and I have them in all of my habitats. Cover 3/4 of the top with foil and dampen your substrate and that will make humidity. Don't be so worried about him growing....he'll be too big before you know it...