Sulcata Tortoises and UVA/UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

E5150

5 Year Member
I am raising a hatchling Sulcata tortoise and live in Tucson,AZ. My question is regarding lighting for UVA/UVB. I am presently building a mid size outdoor enclosure. My tortoise spends most of the day outdoors in the wonderful Arizona sunshine. Do I need any artificial lighting indoors or will my little buddy extract all the UVA/UVB needed outdoors?

Thank you,
Mark Bowron

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Actually your hatchling should be raised indoors and let outside a couple hours a day for sunshine. Making sure not to let him over heat. The reason for this, is he needs lots of humidity, 80% so he can grow smooth like they are suppose to be. You can't get that outside in AZ. Even with the inside housing, you would not need artificial UVB. You may need something for added heat though, as their temps need to be 80 with a basking spot of 95+. All this is explained in Toms threads below in my post. Please read them:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If he's out for 30 minutes or so, a couple of times a week, you will not need any artificial UV indoors. Even if he has to stay indoors for a couple weeks straight in winter, it will be fine. They store D3 in their fatty tissues.

I agree with Wellington about keeping them inside more. AZ does not mimic the African rainy season that sulcatas hatch into. Over there its hot, humid and marshy in some areas. My climate is similar to yours but with cooler nights. I like to leave my hatchlings out for only about an hour a day. As they gain size, I leave them out longer and longer, weather permitting. I don't leave them outside all day until they hit about 6", and even then I bring them inside to sleep or on cooler days.

E5150

5 Year Member
I should clarify that he has a high humidity bog area that is planted with Portulaca that he lies in. He still spends most of his life indoors. He/she enjoys the grazing for food more than cuttings in a bowl. I am maintaining higher humidity indoors as well. I do supplement heat indoors with tape and a ceramic emitter. He enjoys a mid morning outdoor opportunity and a late afternoon grazing opportunity. The sandy loam soil retains moisture fairly well and I have worked a lot of grass hay compost into the surface that enjoys relaxing in. Does this sound problematic? I appreciate the artificial light information, both of your responses and the links to Tom's publication. Thanks! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.