Sulcata is screaming please help

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ukiah Ca.
Hello. Good to read all these. Your sulcata is handsome or pretty. You say he is 7 years old if I read right. Are you for sure the male or female. I'm just asking because you either have a very large bath tub or a small 7 year old sulcata. Lol. I received mine from a rescue in April last year. Weight was 800 grams in just the little time I've had mine he has put on 8 or 9 pounds. At 7 mine will at least 50 pounds or more allot more. Do you have any idea on its weight. How much he weights.

Sosamuk

Is their any food you would recommend to help him with his constipation?

Sosamuk

Btw he's out the bath and he didn't poop, I took him for a drive round the block and still nothing, I will repeat for the next 6 days and consult a vet if nothing happens

Heather H

N.E. ohio
If you get a picture of the underside including the tail they might be able to tell you the sex.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
@Tom my friend in Texas said hers does this when she is egg bound and she has to give pitocin (sp ? ) she has no computer so she can't come on here. Her sulcata is 15 years old. I don't know anything about this though.

Sosamuk

His name is Hershel so we guessed he's a boy but unlike Fletcher my Horsefield he's a lot harder to sex.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom my friend in Texas said hers does this when she is egg bound and she has to give pitocin (sp ? ) she has no computer so she can't come on here. Her sulcata is 15 years old. I don't know anything about this though.

This was a good thought. I like your way of thinking here. In this case though, the animal in question is not sexually mature enough to produce eggs yet. Most sulcatas don't produce until they are 17-18" long. There are rare cases of 15" females producing eggs, but that is unusual. A 9" sulcata could not be egg bound.

Its good to present possibilities for elimination though. We can now rest assured that in this case, it is not egg binding.