Sulcata in Southern California

Zxsong

Location (City and/or State)
Pasadena, CA.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391756345.028184.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1391756357.896608.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1391756406.148606.jpg

Hello everyone! I am a new sulcata mom and I'm here trying to make my new baby's habitat and lifestyle the best possible. Her name is Caramel and she's such a shy girl! I have about 3 red eared slider turtles but their habitat is very different than this one. I have attached a picture of the "turtle table" I made over a couple weekends and I'd love to know everyone's opinions on how to make it better. I've recently had Timothy hay as a substrate for the pet store manager had told me to use it. However, after researching I realized this hay was too dry so now the substrate is coconut husk, organic soil, and some Timothy hay that was hard to pick out. I have a simple dish as a water dish and a couple of arranged flat rocks constructed to make a hiding area. I also have an 50 watt incandescent red light bulb as a heat source that keeps the temperature around 65 and instead of a UVB light I like to take her outside on nice days and let her run around. I also use the supplement Rep-Cal calcium with D3. I try to soak her about once every day. I have a few questions regarding the top of her shell and the faint white lines I can see. Is this a serious thing or is this just markings? Also is there a better heating source I can use? Is there some secret to keeping humidity in the habitat? The California weather over here is getting dryer each month. How can I switch her from a straight romaine lettuce diet to something healthier? The people I got Caramel from fed her straight romaine lettuce and nothing else! She refuses to eat anything other than the lettuce. Also she is constantly trying to escape from her enclosure from the corners. It's about 3x4 feet and around 8 inches tall I wish I had made it bigger now that I realize how much she likes to walk. Anyways I'm glad to be here I plan on learning some handy things! Please respond for I don't want to be doing something wrong and not realizing it until it's too late! Thanks all!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1391756179.675668.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1391756179.675668.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 31
  • ImageUploadedByTortForum1391756216.005728.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1391756216.005728.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 24
  • ImageUploadedByTortForum1391756228.874571.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1391756228.874571.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 23
  • ImageUploadedByTortForum1391756326.964262.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1391756326.964262.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:

Cycere

Hello! That's a lovely toetoise you have there. :)
For humidity, some people use humidifiers, other use moss that they spray to keep moist. I'm sure experts will be on soon to probablu correct me and guve you the best opinion.
I wish you the best of luck on your Sulcata.
Blessed Be.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Your temperature needs to 80 degrees no lower . You need a basking spot 90/100 degrees. To keep these temperatures I use a che on a thermostat . To get humidity up to 80 percent you will have to cover / build a top to hold in humidity or you will keep fighting this . As for the fant white lines thats new growth is a good thing . To get your little one to eat other foods you will have to cut it up small and wet your food so it will stick to the stuff it likes . Slowly add more and more foods till she start to eat the right things . Go to the top of the sulcata section of the forum and read the top theads . Do a search and look up Tom's enclosure ideas .

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum. Southern California is a terrific place to raise a sulcata. A little cool at times, and like you said it can be dry. These can be supplemented. On the other hand, there are a lot of basking and roaming days each year.

Babies have different needs than adults. They are small and can't hold their heat as long. The can dehydrate very quickly as well. So warmth an hydration are very important and the is little room for error. Cold and damp will result in a sick baby. Hot and dry will result in a dehydrated, lethargic, baby. In my opinion the best way to avoid these extremes is to create a "closed chamber" for their enclosure. This thread has several example of how this can be achieved. Several of our more experienced keepers have contributed.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

There is lots to learn, but it is entertaining.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You'll need to cover or partially cover the tort table in order to keep the heat and moisture in.

Zxsong

Pasadena, CA.
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice and I will be sure to build a chamber for her. Right now I have it covered to keep the moisture and temperature in until Im done building her new enclosure. Is there a certain kind of moss that is better than others? I will keep updating and posting pictures as I get farther with the building project!